Selecting an axe (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Many thanks Red and as Blue Boy says very timely. I am hinting at a small forest axe for Christmas. One thing though when I looked the first pic for the first time I thought it was a hairy chest!! :lmao:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
fred gordon said:
Many thanks Red and as Blue Boy says very timely. I am hinting at a small forest axe for Christmas. One thing though when I looked the first pic for the first time I thought it was a hairy chest!! :lmao:
:D

It is a hairy chest of course...err...just more "Vixen" than "Red" ;)

Just so you don't get misled, thats a Scandanavian Forest shown (24"), not a Small Forest (19")

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A wood grenade is a slightly twisted pyramid of metal matt. its placed in the centre of a small round and pounded with a sledge hammer causing the round to fallinto several "wedges" of wood in one operation

Red

Reactions: Rod

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Just purchased one of these via e-bay for under £30 including shipping to UK.
axeM.jpg

I plan to give one blade a log splitting edge and the other a semi-hollow grind for meat work. I’ve no idea if the brand (Marbles "No. 9 Hunting Axe") is any good but guess I’ll soon find out!

Cheers
Ps: Long may the $ be worth 50p!!

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Got my Gransfors Scandi today, I was expecting something heavier...but does it chop nicely! :D It's perfect for what I do, although I'm thinking of also getting an American Felling axe, anyone know where I can order one?

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Klenchblaize said:
I’ve no idea if the brand (Marbles "No. 9 Hunting Axe") is any good but guess I’ll soon find out!

Marbles used to make the finest edged tools in the world. Don't know how they are now. Wish you the best and would like to know how it works out.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Tested out the Scandinavian Forest Axe for two days now. Came to two conclusions;

1) great for light work, such as simple bushcraft

2) Needs a heavy timber axe to help it achieve any more heavyduty work (felling large trees, splitting wood, felling hardwoods)

I really like the price tag too, not too expensive for such quality... But I'm definately getting an American Felling axe for the jobs that require more force than precision.

Anybody know of a good price for a good felling axe?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
OMN,

The Scandinavian is a limbing axe rather than a felling axe so hence, if you were expecting a felling axe, my apologies. I do find a full 30" plus 3lb felling axe too heavy to carry around as a rule for general Bushcraft purposes hence my love for my scandinavian. Even out of the box it does require some bevel polishing etc. mind you!

The puppy meister (Andrew at Outdoorcode) will sort you out a hell of a price on an American if thats your preferred choice - I would suggest you consider the "working axe" option though - a truly beautiful axe

www.outdoorcode.co.uk

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
KB,

You may notice a certain picture of a double bit axe above. Its a Marbles no.9

I hope you love yours.

I hope you love it enough to buy mine :(

Sorry

Red

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
British Red said:
OMN,

The Scandinavian is a limbing axe rather than a felling axe so hence, if you were expecting a felling axe, my apologies. I do find a full 30" plus 3lb felling axe too heavy to carry around as a rule for general Bushcraft purposes hence my love for my scandinavian. Even out of the box it does require some bevel polishing etc. mind you!

The puppy meister (Andrew at Outdoorcode) will sort you out a hell of a price on an American if thats your preferred choice - I would suggest you consider the "working axe" option though - a truly beautiful axe

www.outdoorcode.co.uk

Red

Oh trust me, I was expecting what I got, and I definately love this axe! I just realised that for the work I plan on doing, a larger axe would be needed as well. :eek:

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
OldJimbo said:
How big and what type are the trees to be cut?

Mostly 8 inch sometimes the rare 10-12 inch tree. Mostly pine, maple, spruce, fir, hophorn beam (thinner but denser wood), and willow. I know with the Scandi the softer woods can be cut, but the denser and thicker wood, I'll need a feller, or stick with my home hardware brand one :eek: .

The Iltis faller which is $84 at Lee Valley would be a decent choice, since it has a thin blade. The trouble is that the wider oxhead blade doesn't bite as deep as a narrower one. You'd also need to see a bunch to select as quality control is all over the place from good to terrible.
The classic tool for clearing small trees like that is a 10/11" double of about 3.3 lb head - lots of those in decent shape on ebay.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE