Selceting a Bushcraft Knife for me

R

rootmentor

Hey Guys

I´m currently looking for a knife that has the characteristics that I want. I´m into bushcraft now for 3-4 years and used mostly mora knives and blades from helle wich I made a handle for.

The Helle Viking kinda something that goes into the direction of what I´m looking for.

055.JPG

helle-blade-1.jpg

Basically I´m looking for a full tang version of the Helle Viking. But it has just a stick tang... And I want something that will probably last me forever. I currently live in Germany so shipping may be a concern too.

Thats what I want:

• Drop Point Blade

• High Carbon Steel

• Full Tang

• Minimum 10cm blade lenght

• Fairly thick blade

• 50€ - 150€ price range...

Thanks for suggestions

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Go over to British Blades and post this. They have loads of makers that could make the knife to your exact specification although it will be for the top end of your price range. Having said that have you had a look at what Juttle on this site is flogging for £45? They are not full tang but double the size of stick tang.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
150 euros should just about get you one of the above from me mate. (funnily enough, that one went to Germany too)

Drop me a PM if you are interested. :)

Cheers SB :)

Last edited:

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Once I have no other priorities I'm gonna get myself a Casström New no 10. Available in different materials, carbon steel, 10 cm blade 3.8 mm thick, full flat or scandi grind. Price either €77.80 or €94.50 depending on material for the handle (curly birch is a little pricier). That's without shipping...

www.casstrom.se/knives/fixed-blad/casstrom/

Although... Marks knives do look nice. :)

They look very nice for the money. Shame they do not have any proper reviews on Youtube for them.

Didgeridoohan

Tenderfoot
They look very nice for the money. Shame they do not have any proper reviews on Youtube for them.

There's actually a review here on BCUK of the old version:

www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=509-Casstrom-No10-Swedish-Forest-Knife

From what I understand, what's changed is actually the negative aspects the reviewer mentions: "guard" (don't know the proper English term) has been reduced and the handle is longer.

Edit:
And a short youtube product promo of the old version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00c66GDRaiA

Last edited:

rg598

Native

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE