Secrets of the Heath FREE Event (Hampshire, Petersfield)

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Hello, all. As some of you may know, the Butser Ancient Farm Mesolithic dug out logboat will be on display and in use at Petersfield Heath Lake from the 30th-31st August. I'm just wondering if anyone from this forum is planning to go. I'll be there helping out and talking to people about the boat. This event is running in conjunction with an Iron Age re-enactment weekend at the Farm, so there will be things happening at the farm as well.

More information:
http://www.southdowns.gov.uk/enjoying/events/secrets-of-the-heath

Last edited:

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
"Secrets of the Heath is about sharing the unknown history of South Downs heathland and what makes these rare and beautiful places so special. We’re really excited to be bringing the event to Petersfield Heath again this August.

Heaths are very rare habitats rich in wildlife and they’re also a fantastic open space for families to explore. But many people don’t realise that they’re under threat and would disappear completely if they aren’t actively managed. This event is a chance for people to come face-to-face with heathland characters from pre-historic to present times. Come and find out how people have lived and worked the heath over thousands of years and how you can play your part today.

Throughout the day there will be a programme of displays and re-enactments in the arena including:

Roman soldiers
Medieval warriors
falconry
the highway woman
In addition there will be many stalls and demonstrations from making Stone Age flint tools and birch brooms to meeting the snakes and lizards that inhabit our heathland and the cows and sheep that graze it.

Other highlights will include rides in dug out Mesolithic boats on Petersfield Lake, storytelling and wildlife walks. A new addition to the programme is a bat walk on Saturday evening to celebrate International Bat Night

At 2.00 each day Peter Price will lead an archaeology tour of the Bronze Age Barrows of Petersfield Heath.

Hot snacks, such as pizza and hot dogs, will be available to buy along with local beer and ice cream"

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sounds good, hope you have fun. Will you be demonstrating or get to kit back and relax? Would be good to hear how it all goes.

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Sounds good, hope you have fun. Will you be demonstrating or get to kit back and relax? Would be good to hear how it all goes.
I've just heard today that I'll definitely be working at the lake and with the boat. I'll be talking to customers about the boat and helping the wee ones get kitted up if they want a go. :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I've just heard today that I'll definitely be working at the lake and with the boat. I'll be talking to customers about the boat and helping the wee ones get kitted up if they want a go. :)
Excellent, I hope you have a lot of fun, you should be rightly proud of your work there, boats looking good and you've put in a lot of hard work. Hope all goes well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE