"Secrets of the Castle" BBC2 just finished

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
The 1960s Iron Age series "Living in the Past" was actually pretty good, although it's dated somewhat. The more recent one was appalling not least because Elf and Safety got their mitts on it and wouldn't permit the participants to do half the things they should have. The second one also suffered because the media company producing it clearly wanted to emphasis disputes and disagreements and set it up to produce those.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Saw it 'round at a friends the other night. Wonderful stuff, I really enjoyed watching the potter. And the grain ark was a nice bit of kit (I wonder how many of those will turn up in base camps now:eek:). Almost makes me wish I had a telly. Almost.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I was fascinated, as a carpenter and joiner I loved how many of those techniques are still employed today. Also noticed that the woodworkers were all english and the stonemasons french, which is pretty much as it would have been if building over here. The stone for Canterbury Cathedral was imported from France, the lead masons too (as I understand it) but the carpenters hailed from england. I like that kind of symmetry.

Rob.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Have you seen the book English Historic Carpentry by Cecil A Hewitt?[h=1][/h]

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Have you seen the book English Historic Carpentry by Cecil A Hewitt?

No. I have several books written in the 1800's to very early 1900's (mostly on stairs) and a couple of architectural ones that cover older stuff, I shall go do a search for this one if you think it worthwhile.
Fred Dibner called mediaeval carpenters the "engineers of their time" (possibly a biased view because he started out as one, but one I share un-ashamedly ;) )

Rob.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Have you seen the book English Historic Carpentry by Cecil A Hewitt?[h=1][/h]

I have that book, its a good one.

Some of the techniques shown aren't really lost at all.
Two of my brothers do a lot of stonework and one of them even forges some of his own chisels. I remember putting gate stoop hooks in using lead with my father when I was a kid.

I've certainly seen various of the techniques shown being used on modern stonework.

I'll be watching more of it though as its still interesting stuff.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
That was good again. As a hobby bowyer and fletcher it was interesting to see the 'other side' of weapons making - the crossbow and bolt/quarrel. A good demo of the arrow slot in castle offence/defence too - very effective. Finally the thrice cooked pork looked really good....nom-nom-nom!

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Its programmes like this that make me glad we didn't get rid of the TV, we got close with the amount of utter drivel that is on and can go days without switching it on, then gems like this are broadcast.......
Anticipating the next episode.....

Paul

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
It was excellent, I really enjoyed it. I now have a much greater appreciation of all those stone buildings that I see around me in the UK. So much work! We should never take our heritage for granted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE