"seasoning" aluminium pans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
better conductivity means less hot spots, two of the main things you want in something like a DO

You're confusing 'better' with 'higher.' They're not the same word.

The best advice I could offer here is to take a professional cooking course. It's enlightening to say the least.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
in this case higher is better. thats what give a DO the all round heating effect. dont confuse poor design with poor materials. use a quality hard anodised skillet of a similar or greater thickness to a cast iron one and it becomes clear. many alu pans are very thin, good for weight but not playing to their strengths for cooking.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
in this case higher is better. thats what give a DO the all round heating effect. dont confuse poor design with poor materials. use a quality hard anodised skillet of a similar or greater thickness to a cast iron one and it becomes clear. many alu pans are very thin, good for weight but not playing to their strengths for cooking.

You do understand you're contradicting every professional chef out there? But if you know better than they do, I'll bow to your wisdom.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
aluminium is second best in your kitchen after copper, which is high maintainence and expensive, and heavy. Only thing is if you put it on a camp fire it will go soft, loose its temper, or literally oxidise away. cast iron is also a good cooking material as stated below, titanium and stainless steel baaaaad
If you want an aluminium pan thats not teflon but non stick ish try an internally annodised pan, I think the primus li teck is one.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
like i said if aluminium gets too much heat it detempers (softens) a fire has alot more energy than your average stove, I believe thats how they started smelting iron in the roman period. Cast iron behaves like a crusible.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
nope just checked primus liteck has teflon. Try a gelert !
Does anodised class as seasoned like the op's op asked for. If you do not wish to buy a new frying pan, there are ways of annodising it yourself or companys that will annodise it, but it'll probably end up costing about the same.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Alu melt easily on a fire ... when we had a woodburner as the stove at home I often had a baked jacket spud for lunch.
I would insert an alu tent peg into the spud to speed up cooking the centre of said spud and wrap it in foil before lobbing it into the firebox.
Looked for my lunch one breezy day ... nothing!
Looked in the ashpan and found a hardening pool of alu .. the wind had shifted and increased and the embers had roared into life and consumed my lunch for me.
I had a sanwich that day....
Soooooo - I recomend you keep an eye on your fire if you are cooking in Aluminium containers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE