Seasoned plum spoon

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I loved the terrible/awesome plum punning, one of those where you grimace through the grin

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
It be a fine spoon the thin bowl walls make all the difference to comfort in the mouth

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Such a handsome wood, That reminds me to make use of the plum I have got slowly seasoning in the shed ^^
Handsome spoon aswell mate love the curves on it.
Yours sincerely Ruud

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Cheers Ruud, plum is lovely wood to work especially when seasoned, the coloured heartwood is a common feature of it and it adds great character to whatever you're carving if you can take the contours of your item so it travels in and out of the heartwood, make sure you post up a thread when you carve your plum i'd be interested to see it, i'll be working some more of mine soon enough too

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Will certainly do that, and I'm currently working on restoring my Granddads old lathe, so perhaps I'l even do some turning with it ^^.
Would be lovely some plum bowls and plates for when I'm out camping.

Yours sincerely Ruud

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I'd love to get my hands on some plum branches that thick and have a go at making some bowls by hand, one day i'll get a lathe i reckon but i'd probably have to give up one of my current indoor hobbies and the kit related to it to make space

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Thanks Coldfeet, i'm trying my best to stay away from a basic spoon shape, i find all the extra curves and shaping helps develop my amature carving skills

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You've done a thoughtful job of incorporating the wood anatomy in the spoon design.
I think there's hope to make a wood carver out of you!

While there are "bent" gouges for doing the hollow forms of spoon and bowl voids,
I suggest that you consider something like a Pfeil 9/12 or 9/15 to speed up the tedium
of the rough out. Ashley Iles and others use the same London Pattern Book of standard shapes/sweeps.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I have not used any of that brand but they look like really nice tools, i currently favour a vintage 10mm wide #5 w m marples straight gouge, for spoon bowls i find this a really quick tool but if i was to make a bowl i'd definitely be using one of my wider straight gouges, i only own one bent gouge and i don't like the feel of it in my hand when i choke up on it and brace against the hand holding the item being carved.

I appreciate the advice i too believe i'll one day consider myself a wood carver, I've still got an ocean of things to learn i'm drinking it in one cup at a time, currently absorbing the teachings of Wille Sundqvist

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The narrow sweep, possibly #7/#8/#9, means less edge in the wood for the force that you apply. Certainly, those sweeps leave raised edges that the lower sweeps can eradicate.
I confess that I have carved so many spoons (70) and forks (30) that I wish only to watch with absolute delight the "one-off" that I watch BCUK people make.

In less than 14 days, I expect to be offered 30+ pieces of log, 16"-24" diameter x 30" long for carving bowls. Bit of a surprise. Bowls are usually 10% of the wood.
A length from carving spoons, yes? Might just be an elegant excuse to buy a couple of serious blades that I have always wanted.

http://www.kestreltool.com/

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I am getting a dead link on the kestreltool.com. (site must be currently down as even via google search i can't access it)

So far to date i have carved 5 spoons, 1 fork, 1 spork and 3 butter blades, 1 bowdrill set and about 30 snare triggers since starting up on the hobby, i'm literally brand new to the pastime.

I love using really old tools especially ones that have been heavily used but well looked after, the only blade/tool i use for carving that is younger than myself is my Mora 120, my favourite w m marples set of gouges is from the 1930's but like i said i find myself for the time being going back to the same one, i'm sure as my skills develop i'll branch out into the others

Last edited:

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
There's something gone amiss. Kestrel Tool is alive and well. They have been bladesmithing for the PacNW native carving community for 40? years.

You are well. It takes me a long time (2-6 months) to decide when I need another carving tool. Over 20 years, that can look like a pile but deceptive.
I live in the new world. There is nothing "old" here. McBride is maybe 80 yrs old. Nobody lived here in the forest before that.

In the last few years, I am comfortable with the adzes and the crooked knives used by the native carvers in the Pacific Northwest.
I'm quite looking forward to the prospect of large quantities of large wood pieces. The harvesters are quite excited about a possible
collaboration beyond their usual harvest of 5 cords of furniture woods (2019 bin.)
Me too.

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I think there is a correlation between amature and pro' carvers and wood turners, when they start out they use everything they can lay hands on but as they get more proficient the tools picked up to do a task become fewer. I had an opportunity many years ago to chat with Gary Rance the woodturner who said " when you are working on piece work picking up and laying down tools costs time and money" he demonstrated the point by turning a spindle with sharpened round bar. Demo vid I found is below. ( smashing bloke btw ) Something I have always remembered and found true in my own work.

[video]https://youtu.be/AHN0xy2sBt8[/video]

Rob.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Bizarrely it has something to do with my google chrome web browser, i just checked the link with internet explorer and can access kestrel so i'm having a look there now, sounds like half my tool kit is as old as your town, i have a much more 'modern' set of Marples gouges from the 1970's which make up the other half of my kit.

Thanks for the vid link Rob i'll watch it after i've had some sleep, i feel i will relate to the fellow as currently i could happily use the same two tools all day

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Too funny. Carving tools as old as my village. And I thank you for preserving their use, too.

For me, the tool choice depends on the carving. For spoons, maybe 2 or 3 edges, that was it. For other things, rough-out tools and others for details and finishing. My biggest gouge is 75mm (3" across), the smallest is 1mm wide. I really enjoy looking at these hand crafted spoons. All the trappings of mass production have been wiped away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE