Seamonster!

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Have you ever seen an oarfish? most people havent even heard of them despite them being the longest fish in the ocean. A spetacular animal, - this is a threat on a site devoted to two Oarfish that washed up just over a year ago
http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/b...la-san-marcos-sea-story-09-01-07-oarfish.html
. They dont seem to appear more frequently than one or two times a year, they live in the deep sea and are usually near death if on the surface
oarfishrockboat_01.jpg

I was thinking about how they most likely give rise to seamonster myths, as many historical accounts talk about seamonsters with `horse-like manes` and red spines. I wouldnt be surprised if the whole concept of dragons came from then as well
oarfishdockhor_03.jpg

Has anybody here ever seen a seamonster?

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I used to work on deepsea trawlers,we saw some really strange creatures.
I think the strangest was a 14 foot squid.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Stunning creature, just makes you think what else there is out there which we don`t even know about yet.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Stunning creature!
But you are wrong about them being the source of "dragon legends" - they come from the women in my wifes ancestory - her mother being a prime example!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Stunning creature!
But you are wrong about them being the source of "dragon legends" - they come from the women in my wifes ancestory - her mother being a prime example!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

There`s a good anagram of mother-in-law but I can`t repeat it on a family forum

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
We never see sea monsters cos the dragon heads on our longships scare them all away. :nana:

Ha, make sure you take the heads down before you spot land. Dont want to anger the woodland spirits.

I did alot of spear fishing when i was in the military ( stationed in Hawaii). I was alwase surprised at what i saw down there. In my experiance the ocean alwase made me feel wonder excitement and a little fear.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Most of the deep sea stuff is usually dissapointingly small but this is really nice. I wonder what they feed on?
As for dragonstories, this and giant squid along with the proven fact that freakwaves do exist (and are explained by quantum mechanics) give old seafarers tales a lot of credability.

Boston973

Feb 3, 2009
Mass
:D Not a lot of people know that.

My father beleaved that a man can only come to a a real religion if he learned as much as he could about many, and came to his own conclusions.

So I have read alot. Still havent come to any conclusions but Norse and Celtic mythology speaks to me. I just like it.

Now i have two doughters of my own and i love reading them the storys. My mother inlaw takes them to church and pressures them heavily so exposing them to something diffrent in a positive way really helps.

As to the topic at hand i am alwase surprised at the new discoverys that come from the sea and how they can sometimes truly explain the old tails. I have heard many storys of fish thought extinct being discovered. But i so much more enjoy hearing about fish i never even knew existed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE