sea shore survival

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
hi, im going to west coast of scotland in febuary, im doing a remote coastal mission for 7 days, first time ive done the coast, im looking forward to collecting muscels and limpits, my only worry is will i catch fish, im a master at catching trout from inland streams and river s n lochs using rod and line, traps, or gill net, but ive never fished for sea fish, is it easy... whats the best way, can u catch fish by baited hooks and line left overnight, i know it wont be easy, thats why im doing it, course the survival manuals tell u what to do but does it work, have any of you done it and how did it go, any ideas or stories will be of great help and value, thanks L2

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Sounds like fun...Are you going to totally live off the land (and sea) or are you taking food with you (or nipping to the nearest chippy)...? I would of thought crab lines and spinning off the rocks at low tide, but I am not a sea angler either. Mr Falling rain, are you around to answer this one...?

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
Sounds like fun...Are you going to totally live off the land (and sea) or are you taking food with you (or nipping to the nearest chippy)...? I would of thought crab lines and spinning off the rocks at low tide, but I am not a sea angler either. Mr Falling rain, are you around to answer this one...?

british armys finest rations do come in my ruck, im no bear grills, cant catch deer with my bare hands ''yet''.. it is a shame they dont do boil in the bag venison,..but i will try to suffer starvation on the hope of living off the coast, but having tried for a week in scotland last year with no food i know how hard it is and how gratefull for boil in bag back ups are, its not as easy as they make us believe, our ancesters knew, but truth come to shove i think they might of felt hungry now and again, i think if we were all honest im sure we would admit to taking the odd back up, ie cuts of deer or a boar,or rations; or as my m8 does pot noodle, yuk.
still im gunna love it rain or not, funny thing is out in them woods u never get wet do you, and irl be finding woods to set up base. just i dream of fish on my fire, thats all i want, not money or a porche, just plain old mr sea fish, cus then i know i caught one, cooked one and ate one, and nobody can take that away from me, unlike the tax man that takes my hard earned cash each month

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
british armys finest rations do come in my ruck, im no bear grills, cant catch deer with my bare hands ''yet''.. it is a shame they dont do boil in the bag venison,..but i will try to suffer starvation on the hope of living off the coast, but having tried for a week in scotland last year with no food i know how hard it is and how gratefull for boil in bag back ups are, its not as easy as they make us believe, our ancesters knew, but truth come to shove i think they might of felt hungry now and again, i think if we were all honest im sure we would admit to taking the odd back up, ie cuts of deer or a boar,or rations; or as my m8 does pot noodle, yuk.
still im gunna love it rain or not, funny thing is out in them woods u never get wet do you, and irl be finding woods to set up base. just i dream of fish on my fire, thats all i want, not money or a porche, just plain old mr sea fish, cus then i know i caught one, cooked one and ate one, and nobody can take that away from me, unlike the tax man that takes my hard earned cash each month

I dunno about not getting wet in the woods, I have plenty of times. You have fun up there.... Wish I could join you, but I do not like them fishes.....

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
Your not gonna get mackies in Feb...;) flounders should be a realistic option depending on the type of shore it is...

I'm glad you were'nt my teacher at school bud pmsl!

well, lets hope a flounders comes my way, well feb may not be the right time, but thats
why i gotta go, and with the weather all muddled up,who knows could be a goodun, or could be a RIGHT ****ter, but im well looking forward to it, but what ever happens its bound to be fun,

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
maybe knappdale area, but im looking at gairloch area too, want woods by coast line, streams running into sea for wild trout, its the hardest thing finding the ideal location, lochs and mountains are easy, but im struggling this time it could be rough out there i dont want to get it wrong, tbut im not a newbe at this, been in many a tight spot when it comes to wild camping, rain dont bother me, only snow could holt my journey, but i dont think that will happen, knappdale does look hilly foresty and has out crops of hidden bays round the sound of jura, good for shell fish, etc, the sound of arisaig area could be good, well u see the dilema im facing, ps, wont be going of the mainland , not that i cant just got young dog with me , maybe next year as hes to young for that

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Take some of those lightweight folding lobster pots. You may pull up some eels crabs or lobsters which would be nice! As for sea fishing, I used to sea fish a lot when I lived in Portsmouth and Plymouth. I was a beachcaster, 12 foot rods and hefty reels for dragging supposedly big fish in. The last time I went, five or six years ago, there was a marked decline in what we were catching, but then again it may be different up in Scotland.

Good luck!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Mackerel are away now till at least April. Id say go for Pollock, Cod, Dabs and Flounder. You may get lucky and pick up a strap Conger too. Best baits will be ragworm, lugworm, squid, mackerel, crab, prawns,sandeels for Pollock and Cod.

As for using a night line yes definately worth a shot. If you need to travel light and are not taking a rod reel and all the gubbins use a handline and attach some swivels with around 6 traces and hooks and chuck it out baited with rag or lug worm. You should be able to dig these from a sandy shore especially around estuaries. They leave casts like this http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/wildbritain/habitats/coastal/summer/images/05.jpg

Mussels will work as bait too. Make it a big bait and tie on several mussels to your hook with bait elastic. If I were you I'd take a couple of handlines (the kiddie type crab lines). One with the 6 traces as described for flatties and one with a big hook size 4/0 for the cod, pollock and possible conger.

For the 6 hook rig, tie a 4oz weight to the end of the crab line trap a swivel between 2 knots tied in the handline. (do this for all 6 traces a couple of feet apart) From the other eye tie 15 - 20lb BS line to a small aberdeen hook and bait with worms if possible for the flatties. If you're leaving it overnight you'll find any fish you may have will have swallowed the hook. Flatties seem to do this. Sandy/shingle type sea bed is best for this. Adding some beads if you have some will help attract the fish in light conditions, and giving it a tug every now and then disturbs the sand and makes it float and puff up and attracts the fish

For the 'Conger/Cod/Pollock' rig, fish from a rock mark into deep water (rocky sea bed if possible) and tie a strong large 3 way swivel to the end of the crab line, and then some 60lb (at least) BS mono about 3ft (any longer and you'll have trouble chucking it in) with a large 3/0 or 4/0 hook. Put a big bait on and tie to the hook with bait elastic. Tie a weight of abot 4oz to the side eye of the swivel with 15lb or so mono. This is called a weak link and if the weight gets snagged you only lose the weight and not the mono and hook or even the FISH :)

Think that's about it but any questions I'll try to answer..................Tight lines :D

Forgot to mention. Try and stay by and check the line fairly regularly. Secure it properly so a big fish dosn't drag it into the sea, and try to make sure the line dosn't come into contact with the rocks or it will wear it through and snap it.

Above all take care. The sea is hellish rough in February and you can be swept off the rocks very easily. Rogue waves do happen and fishing from the rocks can be very dangerous. Take a lot of care mate.

leantoo

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 17, 2008
many thanks for all your advice, ive made notes, gotta knuckle down and find the right place now, and i will above all else, take no risks, and come home safe n sound, besides wanna post my photos on gallery, and give back some info on how it went.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nick...Cheers for writing all that. I am gonna be doing some sea fishing down here near looe and that will come in useful....:You_Rock_

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Nick...Cheers for writing all that. I am gonna be doing some sea fishing down here near looe and that will come in useful....:You_Rock_

No worries Jonny. I hope you have a good catch. Let us know how you get on. I forgot to mention there should be whiting about too.
If you have any questions at all ask away. I've got loads of tips for fishing too many to write in one post and if I don't know the answer I can find out :D
Don't forget to take care on the rocks. I don't mean to harp on about it, but several fishermen each year underestimate the sea and get swept away. It just takes one big wave and if it's dark you won't see it coming.

Good luck

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Naw, pots are good, There's good eating in crabs(don't eat the dead mans fingers!).
If you have no boat you can set them up at low tide among the rocks at a headland and rope them to a peg. Creelers won't risk their hull to get to them, if they even notice them in the first place.

Pot.jpg

If you do have a boat set them up at low tide. Lower them then pull the rope up a couple of feet and tie on a small bouy or one of those net float donuts.
Cut off the excess rope and let go. The bouy will be a couple of feet under, you won't be able to see it and can only get to it yourself at low tide with a hooked stick.

Cod seem to be what I catch when there's no mackarel about. Falling Rains tips are great(been reading them myself, cheers for that FR:)). I'm new to fishing and tend to just drift about throwing spinners or towing feathers and singing "I'm gonna eat you little fishie...".
Did discover that I can lob a 3oz weight a useful distance from shore with my wee 8' 30lb boat rod though. That's come in handy when there's been too much chop for the canoe.

Are you used to eating shellfish Leantoo? It's all very well having endless nibbles lying there but if you're not used to the diet you can't eat them all the time. I can only eat shellfish once every couple of days or I start getting queazy at the sight of them.

Edit:
I think folk are allowed to put in a couple of pots anyway regardless of whether someone's working the stretch or not. Legaly I mean(Treat that as a rumour, I'm not really sure).

Long sandbanks make for about the easiest fishy foraging I've come across. Have lifted enough cockles and clams for a lunch in maybe five minutes just wandering along the low water line. Hardly ever camp on beaches any more though because getting above the tide line can a pain when you have a boat.
Only other tip that springs to mind are neoprene gloves with rubber palm dimples ala goalie gloves. Preferably with capped fingers and thumbs that you can fold back. I rarely go anywhere without these. They somtimes even stay in my gear over summer the way midgie nets stay in over winter - better to have them and not need them than vice-verca. Cold, wet fingers can be tiring after a while.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Edit:
I think folk are allowed to put in a couple of pots anyway regardless of whether someone's working the stretch or not. Legaly I mean(Treat that as a rumour, I'm not really sure).

My uncle has five in Ullapool and he is allowed that legally but anymore you need to register and get tags for the pickup buoys.

Shellfish Diet
Howabout adding kelps and other seaweeds to spice up the diet ? Plenty around Arisaig and the Sands of Morar.

Nick

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I don't know my way round which seaweeds are edible but it's something I fancied learning even before I started fishing. You get loads of different types along just about any rocky coastline, in patches where it suits them best(one type in the lea of a headland, another just off that, another out in the bay...etc, etc).

At the lichen exhibition at Chatelherault they had edible lichens. One was quite nice, like bland jerky.
...another was one of the strongest tastes I've ever experienced:yuck:. Pretty nasty and the aftertaste lasted longer than Toddys midgie repellant:rolleyes:.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE