Sea food foraging on the Scottish coast

Mar 20, 2013
Sheffield
Hello there! just after a bit of advice with regards sea food foraging in Scotland, Basically me and a few mates are off Wild Camping/Bothying for 3 nights over easter, we aren't new to camping having completed a 2 week wild camping/hiking trip last June in aid of Help for Heroes however none of us have ever been camping near the coast before which is what we plan on doing this time. We will be spending one night in Torridon, One night at Craig Bothy near Diabaig and the last night on the isle of skye somewhere.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any information about any good places near the locations mentioned above for sea food foraging? or how we would be able to spot suitable locations? I know very little about the subject so any bits of advice you have to offer are more than welcome :)

Cheers, Al

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Tip Number 1 - find out where the sewer outfalls are, and don't collect edibles from vicinity!

I'll second Frazer's book - very informative. Went on one of his seashore courses a year or two ago, and it was excellent.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi al tron.
I’ve done a fair bit of coastal foraging trips and fresh water is quite often the hardest nut to crack, The John Wright's Edible Seashore is an ace book but it’s perhaps a bit early in the year for identifying some plants so if you don’t want to live off shellfish the whole time a tide table and couple o fishing rods will defiantly help.
A quick look on Goggle map and satellite images will give you a good idea of the layout of the land and a rough idea of what’s in the area.
It will be dark by around 8pm so take plenty candles and whisky.
Good luck and enjoy..

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I had a sea food meal with a friend two weeks ago. He said the mussels we cooked under the fire tasted like smoke and ashes. I thought it tasted fine. We had a great time anyway.

Sea purslane and marsh samphire are growing here already. You should also still be able to eat shellfish until about june, but you must check your local guidelines for that. Have fun and good eating:)

thedawnawakens

Settler
Dec 2, 2012
UK
Well I've not been to that neck of the woods (or coast), but I'm sure you will find things to eat. Mmmm marsh samphire, a little cracked pepper and some shellfish....yum. Have a super time and be sure to take some pics so we can see. :cool:

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Keep an eye out for sea beet, very common around most parts I believe, and superior to spinach imho. If you've got a good spring tide, saturated salt solution in a sports type water bottle down razor clam's hole works a treat and if you have a bit of a sheltered beach you may find cockles around the mid range point, if you can see the cockle shells they are probably around. As for limpets, I think Hugh F-W describes them very well as "fishy flavoured pencil erasers", but make your own mind up on that.

Mar 20, 2013
Sheffield
Cheers Guys, all the feedback is much appreciated :) I've been doing a bit of research and I reckon a good place for a bit of seafood foraging would be on the shores of the Isle of Skye near Camasunary Bothy where I reckon we will be spending our last night of the trip. Hopefully we'll be able to find some Mussels there. I'll keep you all posted with some photos when we return for those who might be interested.

Cheers, Al

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try and get the mussels from exposed rocks well away from sand if you can, there's nothing worse than slipping a big fat mussel in your mouth and breaking your teeth on a load of pearls.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Cheers Guys, all the feedback is much appreciated :) I've been doing a bit of research and I reckon a good place for a bit of seafood foraging would be on the shores of the Isle of Skye near Camasunary Bothy where I reckon we will be spending our last night of the trip. Hopefully we'll be able to find some Mussels there. I'll keep you all posted with some photos when we return for those who might be interested.

Cheers, Al

If you get hungry you've got to try the fish and chips at Portree (the chipie down near the harbour not the grumpy guy on the hill) they are the best scampi and chips i've ever had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE