Sea fishing trip, Exmouth September 10 2006

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Nick has kindly sent on his photos fro the day, so I've uploaded a few into the Gallery for you all to see what a great day we had!

Although the weather early on was a bit grey and misty, as you'll see from the later photos it turned out to be a beautiful day!

PICT3044.JPG

Here's the group on our way out to the first spot...

PICT3046.JPG

This one shows our erstwhile skipper, falling rain, who organised the whole trip!

PICT3047.JPG

Here's my fella Andy with his best catch, a nice 4lb+ bass

PICT3050.JPG

And the trip was well worthwhile for Nick and his son James, who both caught good sized bass...

PICT3053.JPG

Meanwhile Andy didn't do so bad himself, with a really nice pollock...

Hope you all have a good time on the next one!

ODG

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
there great photos looks like i missed a great day :( so how's a bout a who's who i can recognise weekend warrior (hello rich no silly hat i see) and know i know what falling rain looks like but who is everybody else?

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Well, there's willowbark's crew of 3, then James (falling rain's son), me (ODG) and my fella Andy, then Andyn and Weekend Warrior in the first pic...

The second one is Willowbark x 2, James and Falling Rain, me and Andy, and Andyn

ODG

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
jdlenton said:
there great photos looks like i missed a great day :( so how's a bout a who's who i can recognise weekend warrior (hello rich no silly hat i see) and know i know what falling rain looks like but who is everybody else?

Im the tall chap hiding my, well over due a trim, hair. :rolleyes:

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
andyn said:
Im the tall chap hiding my, well over due a trim, hair. :rolleyes:

arrrrg now i know what you look like i wish i hadn't asked:D

it good to know who's who thanks folks I'd love to come on another trip perhaps next summer bit busy until then go to qualify as a teacher first though!!!!!!

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Well, ours were fantastic! :)

We all tried sashimi mackeral on the boat, either with just soy sauce, or with a dressing falling rain made from herbs, oil, soy and lemon juice.

Andy and I took home a bass and a whiting - the whiting was grilled for a few minutes on the Monday night and was really tender, served with cous cous. The first two fillets of the bass were pan fried on Tuesday and served with rice, the last two fillets were oven baked in a tomato sauce and served with pasta.

Would love to go again soon, but it may have to wait until our accomodation is a bit more settled.. :)

ODG

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I did one of the Bass as follows:- A Portugese recipe from North Atlantic Seafood by Alan Davidson (which I'll say once again is an excellent book if you're into seafood)

Gut and de-scale Bass. Score lines in both flanks and grill on a medium heat for 10 minutes. Mix some lemon juice and olive oil. and dry toast some bread crumbs and almonds in a frying pan. Remove bass from grill after first 10 minutes and drizzle olive oil and lemon mix over fish and cover with toasted breadcrumbs, almonds and a little fresh parsley. grill for a further 10- 15 minutes garnish with lemon wedges.............and eat. I had steamed new potatos, carrots and sweetcorn. Lovely jubbly :p

The sauce for the sashimi was fresh basil chopped, kikkomans soy sauce, olive oil and lemon juice

There's still 4 places for deep sea wrecking on the 10th Dec if anyone wants to come along. We'll likely be catching Conger, Pollock, coalfish....... and ling on the slack tide. And at that time of year expecting them to be very big :D Trace will be flying collar rig again with french boom and 12 ft trace using storm shads and the like.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Jon Pickett said:
Wearing a pair of underpants on my head................ :D
jdlenton said:
arrrrg now i know what you look like i wish i hadn't asked

Thanks lads. :lmao: Your just jealous you cant pull that look off. :rolleyes: :p :lmao:

I did my pollock in the oven topped with garlic sour cream and parmasan cheese shavings. Most delicious.

I was surprised at the taste of the sashimied mackeral, quite plesant. Not sure i'd eat a whole dish of it mind, especially after the skipper started talking about worms that they carry in the flesh, not sure if he was on the wind up or not. :eek:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
andyn said:
Thanks lads. :lmao: Your just jealous you cant pull that look off. :rolleyes: :p :lmao:

I did my pollock in the oven topped with garlic sour cream and parmasan cheese shavings. Most delicious.

I was surprised at the taste of the sashimied mackeral, quite plesant. Not sure i'd eat a whole dish of it mind, especially after the skipper started talking about worms that they carry in the flesh, not sure if he was on the wind up or not. :eek:

Fish do carry parasites Andy, mainly in the guts though. They can have some in the flesh but as long as you check very carefully there'll be no problems. It tends to be local though and if you catch a fish with worms it's likely that others of that species caught in that area will have some too. Just check the flesh very carefully if you're eating sashimi and you'll be fine. Cooking will destroy any parasites if you want to be double sure.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE