sea bass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Dhole said:
Ide like to give fresh water fishing a go. you just dont hear of people eating the fish thouygh. I cant be bothered to pull a fish out look at it and put it back. What is a tasty fresh water fish apart from something like trout or salmon ?

dave

hello david, i should discuss this when we are down the pub - but....

there are not that many places where you can eat fresh water fishes, ,most fresh water lakes / rivers etc are controlled under licencing laws, hence you need a rod licence to fish there.

visit
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subjects/fish/?lang=_e

for mor details.

i havn't done any fresh water fishing since i was about 12 or so. and i dont really see the point in catching something for the fun of it, hence my prefered sea-fishing as you can keep what you catch.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
freshest scallops ive had was sat on the sea bed at 18m in the middle of a scallop bed. couldnt work out what my buddy wanted me to do as he excitedly shook one in front of my face. Took a demo to finally put the point across. Have to say they tasted better back on the boat.

as for Bass im off out now to see if i can bag me one for dinner

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
It is illegal to remove fresh water 'coarse' fish in this country for eating as far as I'm aware. Taking the fly gear down to the Purbecks this weekend so should be good! Don't forget the minimum sizes for keeping fish. Bass take years to grow-something like 10 years for a 5 pounder so don't take the little 'uns. What really pees me off though is the mackerel slaughter that you witness every summer. Why do these idiots have to kill every damn fish they catch and then just leave them? Why can't they take a couple for the pot, maybe a couple for the freezer for bait then return the rest alive? Not a great image for the sport....

grahoom

Forager
May 27, 2005
oxford
pathmusick.hermetech.net
Spacemonkey said:
Why can't they take a couple for the pot, maybe a couple for the freezer for bait then return the rest alive? Not a great image for the sport....

yes i know what you mean - i guess in some ways thats the problem - when the hunting of an animal becomes a "sport" - then people seem to think that the winning is the important part, when really if you are out their capturing an animal then it is best to capture / trap / hunt for a reason other than entertainment.

my 2 pence worth.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
You all should try some fly fishing for brown trout in a mountain stream or lochan. It's the best. Better to find a stream with a rocky bed rather than chalk, as it definitely affects the taste. (Although I reckon it's a bit easier in chalkstreams as the fish are easier to see and I've tended to find less dense trees lining the banks).

Other freshwater fish you can get on the fly are greyling, which are related to Salmon. Depending on where you fish you can also get the occasional escaped Rainbow trout (Fishy Yank tourists)

I once managed to hook a pike on a particularly lurid "booby", but because I was using 4lb flurocarbon leader, he wasn't on for very long and he took my Booby with him :eek: :p

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Spacemonkey said:
Pike fishing on the fly is a whole new subject!! One that's getting quite polular though...

Well this pike must have been one of the trendsetters - I was going for Rainbow trout :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE