Scout Sheath Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Does anyone remember the scout sheath knife? (you know back in the day you went out with the cub/scout leader on camp and he/she had this tool). I know I do but I havent seen one since I was in the cubs. I seem to remember they had a leather sheath and a black handle. They also had the cub/scout sign on them and they seemed huge to a 9year old! Although they were probably only 5 or so inches long. Are they still out there?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Apparently this was the Official scout knife in 1961,

331939d1334337526t-unknown-knife-rehwappen-p2210025-large-.jpg

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup, one was given to the young with a promise of adventure and pride in you and your country, by a super overtly religious group intent at times on using the young to further the military goals of the country, and the other is a hitler youth knife:p:D

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I can answer this as by pure chance a Belgian friend has an original. After the war the factory that made the hitler youth knife made the (then current) Scout knife for Belgium. The Nazi symbol was siply replaced with the fleur-de-lys Scout symbol. Worth a reasonable amount of money if you have an early rebranded version.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Wow I did not know that! Thanks for that Manacles. I remember that the only other person apart from the Scout leader that had one was a mate at the top of my street. They owned a Band B so always had the modern expensive stuff for Christmas etc, You know, Choppers, spelling electronic games etc. Modern stuff. (Well modern in the 70s). I saw one a few years ago now but it was in a second hand shop and was closed. We were only there for the day so I missed it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah close. All the popular hunting knives of the time were a basic bowie style blade of 4-6 inches.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That German scout knife creeps me out. :(

My first sheath knife was a Western Boy Scout knife. Sadly it was lost but I don't recall when. It was a long time ago and I think it disappeared while I was in the Navy.

A good friend, though, sent me a replacement a couple years ago. I treasure it for the memories it brings back.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I can answer this as by pure chance a Belgian friend has an original. After the war the factory that made the hitler youth knife made the (then current) Scout knife for Belgium. The Nazi symbol was siply replaced with the fleur-de-lys Scout symbol. Worth a reasonable amount of money if you have an early rebranded version.

Very interesting, I did think the two looked very similar.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I have something very similar by Muela, it has a slightly bowie style blade. If you've anything to trade & want it let me know.

Rob

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
I've got this knife which seems similar design to ones posted on this message...

IMG_20120807_221700.jpg

thats what I had, Sheffield Steel, my Dad had it since he was in the Police Cadets abck in the 60's, he gave it to me, Girlfriend chucked it in the fire with the potato peelings, end of Girlfriend...

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
thats what I had, Sheffield Steel, my Dad had it since he was in the Police Cadets abck in the 60's, he gave it to me, Girlfriend chucked it in the fire with the potato peelings, end of Girlfriend...

Ouuch!!! No jury would ever convict you.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
lol I didnt do away with her but it was close. its true what they say "dont lend your knife to anyone as it could end a friendship" actually I really hate lending anything to anyone, most people dont return things in the same or better condition, there are exceptions of course

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE