scout campsite help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i know of a really great scout campsite up there river from my house.. despite the fact that it is very close to me i have only been there once a long time ago.. as its about a 15 mile drive from me round the end of the river.. and i presumer as i am no longer a scout that it would not be avalible for my use.. what i am wondering is, do any of you scout leaders here know if it is likely that the scouts would make it avalible for our use?

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Our live role play group rents scout camp sites all the time - you should certainly be able to rent the site, it will just depend on the price, and whether you just wanted it for yourself, or for a group... :)

TAZ

Tenderfoot
Aug 3, 2004
Farnborough, Hampshire
the scout's would probably hire the site to you but it would try to make it a time when there aren't many scouts around because of our various care of duty rules. your best bet is to give them a bell, they'll most likely say yes.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
They need to cover their running costs so the chances are that they will let you camp there, it would be at a slightly higher rate due to you not being a scout or a youth organisation but the chances are it would be fine. Call them and ask, in the last few weeks I've talked to a couple of camp sights to see if I can get a group of 50 girls a place to camp, they've been most helpfull :biggthump

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I've looked into my local site and they are willing to let me hire it. But with lots of conditions, including no open fires which is one of the main reasons I'd like to use them.

Still some sites, such as Broadstone Warren do permit open fires, so keep looking. :wink:

cheers,

Martin

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
It wouldnt take up much of your time only about one evening a week or less as they dont even meet in holidays. You could even just nip in on the odd night and help out say once a month up to you its voluntary no real commitment.:mischief:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
The gsl might be leaving soon, thought it would suit you, not much more than the commitment you already have as you spend half your life at the scout hut anyway just need someones name to put on the papers really, we couldnt think of anyone better for the job, you have such a way with people :trink26:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
<Starts laughing hysterically at gooses last posts that suggest scouting doesn't take up "too much" time> :wink:

Yeah, ok Goose; is - in theory - right. you can choose to do as much or as little as you like. unless of course the cub leaders in your Group all unexpectedly leave, and you find yourself helping to run Cubs AND Scouts every week.... :shock:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Dont really want to put anyone off, it is well worth the commitment the reward of seeing the grin on the kids faces after doing something for the first time is well worth it. Passing on the knowledge you have is rewarding too and its surprising how you can spot a different/better way of doing something whilst teaching a subject. It improves your knowledge as you may end up researching the answer to the question you were asked that you had never thought of. And best of all I can indulge in pyromancy and not be thought strange! :cold2:
(ok too strange)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
it is something i have thought about.. however.. beck in the day (not so long ago actually) when i was a scout my troop was... shal we say dispanded. :nono:

im going to phone the lady whos in charge of this site and see whats what!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Have a word with the site warden, they may find your bushcraft experiece a usefull addition to the site, depending of course on all checks being carried out, if they get to know you you could offer to tkae groupps on a nature trail or do a demonstration of something. I know it is always good to show the kids new faces to keep their atttention. It may even get you cheaper camping!Not all helpers are uniformed we sometimes ask people in to instruct in subjects.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
the lady said that she could see no problem with it.. and if we came up with dates and such like and spoke to here again she would put it forward to the executives. :eek:):

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE