Scottish holiday (with pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mang

Settler
Although first and foremost a family holiday, I’ve recently returned from Scotland and been absolutely bowled over by it! We decided to fly (from Stanstead) so that we could point out stuff to boys as we flew up England-It was cloudy-and after a few days in Edinburgh we travelled to a rented place near Fort William.

And what a site: Next to a Salmon river (the Lochy) , several peaks (including Ben Nevis) in the scenery and mixed woodland on three sides. We had three suitcases between four of us and I was a little worried about the punitive fees for exceeding the weight limit (at least Highwaymen had the decency to put a mask on before robbing you) and therefore I took only a little bushcrafty stuff.

Well we had Crossbills and Red Deer around the house, Goosanders and Mergansers flying down the river, and an Eagle roosting in the woods. I tried to find the elusive Otters and at the end of the holiday I was up at 5.15 in the morning and out again at 8.30 in the evening-No luck! It was a real privilage to be up and at one with mother nature at that time however and I often posted about it on Facebook whilst sitting comfortably on a rocky outcrop or similar. I asked a guy who lived by the river what time was best to see the Otters and he slowly shrugged his shoulders, smiled and said ‘It’s the luck of the draw’. I felt this was a Private Pike ‘You stupid boy’ moment on my part for asking that!

I did however get some print pics and noticed that the Toads breeding nearby where nearly all reduced to heads, limbs and entrails by the Otters. Come and go so to speak…

Other notables where plenty of good Eagle sightings, seeing a Raven’s nest and watching them feast on a Deer carcass, impressing my sons and nephew with a homemade fish trap, using my Honey stove by the river (the owner said ‘Fill your boots’ when I asked about doing some bushcrafty bits) and seeing various flowers.

Our flight back was grounded by the ash and the drive south was interesting as we noticed the further south we got, the more advanced mother nature appeared to be. The most striking thing for me was coming back to hedgerows full of blossom. However, since being back we’ve less Martins and Swallows than in Scotland…

I left with many things ticked off the must see list, and inevitably many that weren’t-Crested Tits, Otters and Jays (yes Jays, we saw every other member of the Crow family!)

I barely read the books I’d taken (which included The natural Navigator and the latest Bushcraft magazine) as I was out and about so much. I also wish I’d taken my planisphere as the stars where brilliant…I also tried to breath in as much pure air as I could so I hope I’ve left enough =D

I left the fish trap and a penny stove on the owners steps for her kids as I left, admittedly with a lump in my throat and a moist eye....Oh and fact that it didn’t rain and we hardly saw a Midge helped.

A couple of asides: To me Scotland seemed to have a real sense of it’s own identity and for those that like military planes I saw Hawks, Tornados, a Sea King, Merlin and P3 Orion and there’s a similar thread on Escouts’ Bushcraft and Nature Social Group (with a few different pics) for those that frequent it.

Some pics, please feel free to correct any id errors.

bc_7.jpg

I’m assuming these Daffs are wild as they were miles away from the nearest house.

bc_10a.jpg

Plenty of Wood Anemones

bc_11.jpg

Not sure what the blue and white flowers pictured here are…

bc_10.jpg

A Parasol?

bc_16.jpg

Found a lot of these-They look like Lupins (this was taken right by the River Lochy) but I can’t find any reference to them occurring naturally.

bc_9.jpg

A lot of these about…

bc_12.jpg

A LOT A LOT! Around twenty on this particular Birch.

bc_1.jpg

I found the ‘Old man’s beard’ Lichen didn’t burn for long using a ferro rod-It did work well when teamed with Birch bark…

bc_1.jpg

…sourcing Birch bark really wasn’t hard!

bc_15.jpg

The River Lochy near us wasn’t overly full and by and large had a gentle and relaxing babble. This uprooted tree bears testament to it’s potential.

bc_6.jpg

This feather is in my hand for sizing. An eagle’s feather?

bc_4.jpg

I realised on this holiday that this is the first time that I’d actually seen Toad spawn.

bc_3.jpg

Took this impressive formation at dawn whilst hunting for Otters.

bc_18.jpg

I’m assuming that these are prints. They were close to the ponds edge (actually a pond created by the river’s low water level) and I really had to lean over a sapling covered boulder to snap them so it wasn’t a dog.

bc_19.jpg

A different location but again, close to the water and no obvious dog tracks to or from the river.

bc_17.jpg

This was on a sandy track about six feet from the water. I’ve seen similar when Googling ‘Otter prints’ but it looks more like a smilie! =)

bc_13.jpg

Finally me, the honey stove, a homemade billy, a mug with a coffee plunger, the River Lochy and Ben Nevis behind the trees. It was a dirty job someone etc etc…

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
splendid. :D

I drove past there a couple of weeks ago. By the look of Ben Nevis it might be one of those years where the snow on the top lasts through the summer.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Mang,

I'm over the moon for you, I'm so glad you had a great time.

Most of us Scots live in what's called the "Central Belt" and many don't realise what an "on our doorstep" treasure we have up here TBH.

I saw my first Jay two years ago, my first Eagle at the same time, and walking home along the Union Canal today, I was heartened to see lots of Sparrows.

Great photos there, the fungi on the tree are horses hoof - don't tell Toddy!!!

Great post fella,

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire

Great photos there, the fungi on the tree are horses hoof - don't tell Toddy!!!

Great post fella,

Liam

:D

"As cheugh as Auld Nick
Who burns forever,
Roast it black,
And they'll burn thegither" :D

Scottish children's memory rhyme
The Devils Hoofnail, Fomes fomentarius

cheers,
M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
God no, never go to Scotland. Full of weirdos, most of which are contributing to this thread :cool:

They even have their own Daleks now..

jock_dalek.jpg

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Although, have to hand it to you that Scottish blokes are well 'ard. Thistles at waist height in a country that hasn't invented trousers yet, you'd have to be.

Apologies Mang, Scotland is one of the great places on this Isle that still holds treasures yet to be discovered. It's always an adventure to get outdoors there. Thanks for that.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Although, have to hand it to you that Scottish blokes are well 'ard. Thistles at waist height in a country that hasn't invented trousers yet, you'd have to be.

Hahahahahaaaaa. :D

I finished up in what some would call a "non-Jock Regiment", based in the big smoke, a few years back and the Kilt was the subject of a "drunken debate" one night.

Funniest comment I heard was that we'd invented "Trannies" but were too thick to spell it so never took the credit for it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hahahahahaaaaa. :D

I finished up in what some would call a "non-Jock Regiment", based in the big smoke, a few years back and the Kilt was the subject of a "drunken debate" one night.

Funniest comment I heard was that we'd invented "Trannies" but were too thick to spell it so never took the credit for it.

Brilliant. This thread by the way, is the one by Mang that you apologised for hijacking in another thread you hijacked..... oh, you make me chuckle :lmao:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Brilliant. This thread by the way, is the one by Mang that you apologised for hijacking in another thread you hijacked..... oh, you make me chuckle :lmao:

Ok, **cough**, here goes;

I will write out 100 times "Miyagi cannot multi-task".

Mang, if you're reading this Fred Gordon owes you an apology.

He's done nothing wrong mind, it's just that he has my apology to you in his thread.

QED

Liam

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Ok, **cough**, here goes;

I will write out 100 times "Miyagi cannot multi-task".

Mang, if you're reading this Fred Gordon owes you an apology.

He's done nothing wrong mind, it's just that he has my apology to you in his thread.

QED

Liam

There's no hope for some folks. But at least it's kept the thread bumped for some decent people to respond to in the morning.

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Liam, :lmao:

food opisoning my A***. You've been up all night on the waccy juice by the looks of it.

Mang: the aforementioned conversation does not in any way represent the reals Scots, who are generally hard working, reverent and coherent.

Rob

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Liam, :lmao:

food opisoning my A***. You've been up all night on the waccy juice by the looks of it.

Mang: the aforementioned conversation does not in any way represent the reals Scots, who are generally hard working, reverent and coherent.

Rob

Hahahaha :D

I wish!! Not touched a drop since Burns Night, will need to fix that. :)

Mang

Settler
Well no apology-spoiled my weekend! :D

Forgot to add that if anyone is around Loch Shiel at the Bonnie Prince Charlie monument end there's a great Eagle/ Nature spotting boat trip from the nearby hotel.

You park in the hotel carpark and I suggest the longer of the trips on offer. The guy who does it is a dear old soul and you can tell that it's not a job, more a paying hobby. He does a commentary and there's the potential of seeing Sea and Golden Eagles, Ospreys and just about anything else.

He barely takes his bins from his eyes so it's good that there's no other traffic! I shouted to him that I'd seen some Sand Martins, 'Are yee sure lad, they're normally doon the other end of the loch'...Next minute he's up at the bow with me and a guide book confirming my sighting-As I said, there's no other traffic.

This is where I got the Raven shot and I'll post a pic of some Deer when I get a moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE