Scottish Bushcraft outfit?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The entire idea of formalised tartans, and the modern kilt as we now know it, are entirely Victorian inventions - as far as I know. It's not really traditional at all - it was made up to replace the real traditions that were ruthlessly persecuted following the 1745 rebellion. So go ahead... ;)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Snufkin said:
True. But I tend to view it as traditional Highland dress and I wasn't born in the highlands so.... And weren't a lot of the tartans invented by the Victorians when it became cool to show off your Scottish connections? Doesn't mean to say they are any less valid or anyone else shouldn't wear them it just wouldn't feel right for me.
However if I got invited to, say, a wedding in Scotland, and the bride and groom insisted on tradition dress I'd jump at the chance :) .

You really should go for it Snufkin.The "clan tartan" thing is a modern invention.There are now town tartans,corporate tartans etc.

The only "rules" exist in the minds of a few anal retentives.I come from a line (on my Mum's side) of Murray;McDonald and McGregor.You have my permission to wear any of those,oh and the Hawick town tartan too. :D

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
gregorach said:
The entire idea of formalised tartans, and the modern kilt as we now know it, are entirely Victorian inventions - as far as I know. It's not really traditional at all - it was made up to replace the real traditions that were ruthlessly persecuted following the 1745 rebellion. So go ahead... ;)

I believe that Sir Walter Scott had a big hand in it.He was a bit short of disposable income at the time though I don't know if that was a factor. :p

Also the fact that king George was persuaded to ponce about in the full get up went a fair way to establishing the "traditional highland dress". :rolleyes:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
im getting married this week and i'm from a long line of highland scots. i've opted out of wearing the silly kilt outfit (prince charlie jacket, frilly shirt, sporran etc) for the wedding mainly because of the reasons gregorach mentioned. also a decent kilt is boiling hot and itchy when you're indoors.

i would consider buying a kilt in the future for outdoor wear, it'd be great for camping especially in spring and autumn. in fact, if you go the whole nine yards (literally) you can camp in the bloody thing - thus saving on stuff that needs carried.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
locum76 said:
i would consider buying a kilt in the future for outdoor wear, it'd be great for camping especially in spring and autumn. in fact, if you go the whole nine yards (literally) you can camp in the bloody thing - thus saving on stuff that needs carried.

The original use of the Great Kilt. :D

Don't let the history put you off the full rig.Once bought,it will serve as formal dress for any and every occasion and it is damn good looking too. :D

I've got the full BPC,lovat jacket,Jacobean shirt,plus day,semi formal and full posh sporrans.There's not an occasion, from a walk in the woods, to a Royal Garden Party that I can't cover with the kilt. :cool:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
im also not wearing the kilt to my wedding because my legs look like knotted string. kilts definetly suit a more portly chap.

:D

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
BorderReiver said:
You really should go for it Snufkin.The "clan tartan" thing is a modern invention.There are now town tartans,corporate tartans etc.

The only "rules" exist in the minds of a few anal retentives.I come from a line (on my Mum's side) of Murray;McDonald and McGregor.You have my permission to wear any of those,oh and the Hawick town tartan too. :D
That's jolly nice of you :You_Rock_ .

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I'm currently tracking down some wool tartan to make a great kilt - however there is one thing that limits the effectiveness of the kilt as scottish bushcraft wear - the dreaded Midge! :eek:

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
MacGregor and MacDuff, 41 Bath St Glasgow,

Ordered 5m x 54" (Wierd I know) of 16oz Kilt material for £25/m - the tartans were limited to 3 books. I have never used them and know nothing about the different mills but as an experiment this seemed reasonable compared to the other shops around.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE