Scoring leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well part way through the sheath and was wondering about methods to score the leather in order to make it fold over better. I am using (I think) 3.5mm leather and it the tutorial it mentions scoring the leather to help the folding.They use a tool which I cant remember what its called but I haven't got one so was wondering about a series of very shallow cuts?
Bit worried about it weakening the leather? Any other 'to hand tools' that could be utilised?
Dave
Oh I have a adj groover but it struggles on the inside (rough) side of leather and all I have managed to do is block up the hole, which I cant remove the freakin leather out of doh!
Ta

Wettstuff

Tenderfoot
Oct 14, 2005
Ascot
Well untill the grown ups arrive, i am by far no way near an expert on leather but when i've made sheaths before i just used a stanley knife run gently down a ruler or straight edge, with just enough pressure to go through the top layer as it were, i think the tool they use is like a scribe type thingy (expets correct me if im wrong)

Hope this helps

Mark

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A free hand stitch groover is what i have used in the past :) Only a few quid from leprevo..

leon-1

You can use a V Gouge or a U Gouge. As the proper tools.

A lot of the time with lighter leather (3.5mm) I don't bother, I just dampen the leather, yes it does compress the leather a little, but you still have to form the leather when you fit the knife.

If you are going to remove leather then do three parallel cuts no more than 1mm deep and say 3mm wide.

There is a possibility that you could use a dremel, but you would have to keep the speed low and be very carefull not to burn the leather, burning the leather would dry the leather and make it brittle. I wouldn't advise it unless you have prcticed it and are 100% sure that you can manage it.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Before I got a stitch groover, I would use the stanley knife along a ruler, but angled so I could remove a v-section strip the way a groover does. It's not as hard as it sounds!

Simple cuts won't help much if you don't remove any leather from behind the fold. Wetting works well too, but I've found this better up to around 2.5mm thick. As Leon says, thicker leather rucks and it's hard to get a nice tight fold (especially if you're aiming for an acute angle).

I'm no expert, but I've been experimenting a bit for a while now.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks for all the advice. Prob should have bought the right tool in the first place! Just want to get on with it and dont want to pay the p&p just for the tool.
Thought about the v suggestion and will have a go very carefully!
Sorry Soar should have searched first! D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Did someone not say they used an old mens shaving razor lately for edge bevelling ? Maybe you could try somethig like that if your stuck :)

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Got myself a bit stuck with the sheath at the mo!!
Following a 'how to' off BB and not sure if I have allowed enough leather! Doh! Did do exactly what the thread said though?!?!?
I may have to add more welt pieces in the handle area......its all good stuff though eh!
Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Thanks mate thats cool. Right I am the cutting welts and it seems that although I followed the thread closely (maybe my leather is thicker) that I dont have enough room for a reasonable size welt. This will mean that my stitching will end up to close to the edge of the sheath .(I think) Got just enough leather to have another go;) But may carry on with this as an exercise.
Is it 'normal' to have a welt piece the full length of the blade and handle as well as a shorter piece by the handle?
I will get a pic up tomorrow as its too dark with the flash.
Ta Dave
Oh I did use the edge groover to score the leather for the folds, actually worked better than I thought it would.D

rancid badger

A free hand stitch groover is what i have used in the past :) Only a few quid from leprevo..

This is the ideal tool but you could try a few different method's:

Wet the leather, either the whole sheath or even soaking the area of the fold would do.Then when it's good and wet, fold it and then gently compress it till you achieve the desired effect.

Or: try scoring the leather with the nose of the stanley knife, with the blade RETRACTED!

This will compress the leather allowing you to fold it a fair way although I think you will find that using water will give the best chance of success at this stage.

If you are not sure, then use a bit of scrap and experiment till you get it off pat. ( who's pat like?):bluThinki

You could try making a folder from a small piece of seasoned wood or even plastic. What you want is no sharp edges, so you would need to polish it smooth-I've made a couple from some sort of soopa doopa plastic from work I'll post a photo for you later to give you some idea of what I'm on about.

Best wishes and hopes this helps;)

rancid badger

Here you go:
P2100002copyresized4.jpg

not the best pictures, but basically, all you need is something you can polish up which doesn't actually cut or scratch the leather.
P2100001copyresized3.jpg

this is crude but works a treat.
P2100004copyresized1.jpg

It's fairly smooth all over, making it good for burnishing edges as well.
P2100007copyresized2.jpg

As I say, hope this helps.
Best wishes
R.B.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
R.B yes it does help thank you. Will have a look see to what I can adapt that is lying around.
Thanks for the pic's Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE