Score!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I was working on a Kephart knife today and was pondering what to use for the scales. I've been using alot of beech lately and fancied a change. I was looking over my wood pile searching for inspiration when I spotted an "oak" board. It was an off-cut that my old boss gave me when he made a counter for the bar at the hotel I used to chef at. He'd got the board from a customer whose grandad had been a coffin maker. The board came out of his shed and must have been cut 70 years ago. The fellow said it was oak and I took the grey and dusty off-cut home and forgot about it. Well, I pulled it out, 1' by 1 1/2' and 1/2" thick and brushed it off. It didn't really look like oak, and when it went through the bandsaw it didn't smell like oak. I rasped and sanded a section to get a good look and guess what, it's elm! And enough for 5 or 6 knives at least:D .

Scoffham

Tenderfoot
Mar 31, 2009
Cumbria
I had a similar result this week.. gained a nice piece of Elm burr.. has a very nice birdseye effect... just need to crack on with the blades now! Look forward to seeing your result.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I quenched the blade. I'll give it an hour and then start the heat treat. Weather dependent, I may start mounting the scales tomorrow.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Please excuse my ignorance. Is good Elm basically hard to come by (or expensive) since Dutch Elm disease?

Lovely finish on the handle BTW.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Please excuse my ignorance. Is good Elm basically hard to come by (or expensive) since Dutch Elm disease?

Lovely finish on the handle BTW.
It's pretty thin on the ground yes. It does still grow but tends to get infected when the trees get to 12-15 years old so its very rare to get any trees that are worthwhile for boards.
And thanks, it's Tru oil gun stock finish. I've used it on bows before but this is the first knife I've done. I'l have to see how it holds up.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Lovely kephart knife there..It sure looks like Elm to me.I know elm was a popular wood for coffins at one time.

Any chance of a close up of the handle?...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE