Scissors in Leatherman or SAK..........why ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

trade axe

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2013
Western Canada
I have never desired nor understood the utility of scissors on an outdoor tool. Please explain to me why so many outdoor types seem to want them.... I just don't get it.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Trimmingh the skin around a burst blister is infinately easier with small sharp scissors, you can do it with a knife but not near so well, same goes with cutting your nails, especially split ones. First aid kits tend to have scissors rather than knives in them so there must be a preference for them for such tasks.

I find scissors invaluble when doing repairs in the field, you can use a knife but when a pair of scissors adds almost nowt to the weight of a folder why bother not having them?

The thing on a knife I can't understand folk going without is a can opener. So many knives have a bottle opener, which is totally point less unless you are naked in free fall ( saying that I knew a girl who used to open crown tops with her teeth ), but not a can opener, why?

ATB

Tom

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I find them very useful for removing splinters, as most tweezers are utterly useless. A slightly dull small pair of scissors are really good, sharp small scissors are better than tweezers but you have to be careful not to chop the splinter into smaller pieces making it harder to get hold of!

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For me the worst things found on SAKs/multitools are 1.corkscrew, seriously victorinox have a corkscrew on one or two models thats fine, but nearly all of them?
2. Would be a bottle opener AND a can opener. Bottle opener is about as much use as the corkscrew plus the bottle/can opener/wire stripper on my wave does both brilliantly

So many SAKs would be vastly improved by swapping the above for something useful

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
For me the worst things found on SAKs/multitools are 1.corkscrew, seriously victorinox have a corkscrew on one or two models thats fine, but nearly all of them?
2. Would be a bottle opener AND a can opener. Bottle opener is about as much use as the corkscrew plus the bottle/can opener/wire stripper on my wave does both brilliantly

So many SAKs would be vastly improved by swapping the above for something useful

The can opener on a SAK is the best tool ever invented for removing the metal collars off screw top glass bottles before they go in the recycling. That is the only thing I've ever used it for though. I think I've only ever used a SAK corkscrew once when on holiday in Italy and we couldn't get screw cap wine anywhere. Unless corked wine is still big in foreign markets I've got no idea why they still waste space with them.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Most of the tins in my cupboard still need an opener and the SAK does brilliantly at that. The corkscrew houses the minin screwdriver (for glasses etc), can also be used to attach a lanyard safely and as a previous poster stated, you can use it to undo stubborn knots, and open wine with.

Bottle opener is also a flat driver, which I use a great deal at work.

Scissors are the best out there and the whole thing fits in your pocket ready for action. Where's the problem?

Muskett

Forager
Mar 8, 2016
East Sussex
I carried a SAK as a Rifleman for several reasons:
Scissors: admin on my feet both blisters and toe nails; fingernails; cutting and fablonning our maps; cutting plasters to size; anything scissors are for.
Tweezers: for splinters, used to get lots in my knees (thy are the best there are).
Cork screw: I do drink non screwcap wine; an anchor (screw in and pull); carry mini screwdriver; knots.
Compo used to come in tins.
Weight, a SAK doesn't weigh much, my preferred is the Huntsman.

And to me a SAK is symbol of civilisation and the good times.

I do use a Leatherman Charge TTi but its heavy, the scissors aren't quite as good.

Last edited:

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
Scissors on my Swiss Army Knife are used daily. Indoors or out and about.
The corkscrew I agree is of little use these days, for corks anyway.

A useful addition to the newer knife I have (forget the name, but it's a three deep, knives/scissors/bottle-can openers one) is a hook. This is in the rear of the knife in the position that was empty on my previous version. Great for pulling cordage/laces tight (which I used to try and do with the corkscrew!)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The amount of times I have used scissors in the field more than the knife probably 4 times as much. First aid, nails, clothing. Wont buy a tool without them

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
My current SAK is the first I have ever had with scissors. They are useful, but for me the tools in order of usefulness are:

1 Saw. Quickly cuts sticks for making other things
2 Corkscrew. I've lost count of the number of glasses of wine I've had as a thank you for opening bottles for other people who have neglected to bring one on a trip- even in France. Also holder for vital mini-screw driver that mends specs. Also get hard to get at things from holes and retrieving pull strings from their sleeves.
3 Big screw driver/crown cork opener: hardly ever used for the purposes designed for but tack lifter, pry bar, limpet off rock tool. thimble (needle end in nail nick) etc. On some previous knives I have sharpened to a chisel point and used for gouging. On current SAK this not feasible owing to how it doesn't fold fully into handle. My son and I once removed a side window from a scrapped car using our SAK screwdrivers- the only tools we had!
4 Can opener. Not all tins have ring pulls yet. Also use as ferro rod scraper.
5 awl. good for making holes in cans and to enlarge holes in belt etc
6 scissors. Don't use much but does things other tools can't.
7 tweezers
8 Blade. Use it a lot because it is always on me, but a poor substitute for a proper knife.
9 toothpick : I cut twigs.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I wouldn't dream of buying a SAK without scissors, foraging, mending clothes and fabric things, personal admin and last but not least as a part of the FAK........Invaluable, and the SAK Huntsman ones are best.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wouldn't dream of buying a SAK without scissors, foraging, mending clothes and fabric things, personal admin and last but not least as a part of the FAK........Invaluable, and the SAK Huntsman ones are best.

Exactly! You have hit the nail on the head - invaluable is what they are!

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I wouldn't have a multi-tool without scissors, probably one of the most used tools for me.

The thing that most of them don't have that I'd like to have on a tool is an Awl.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE