Science and Superstition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
I think it is far fetched to believe that ancient peoples knew way more about a phenomenon than science does now. That is basically saying that science has not advanced for several thousand years.

Just because some knowledge is old does not make it true. It was known for millenia that the earth is flat.

As for dowsing, no double-blind tests have ever showed any results. The amount of times they are correct is no different compared to guesswork.

I am of course willing to believe any and all things, they just need to be proved convincingly and have to be repeatable.

And what value is a truth that can't be attributed to all people? Either something is true or something isn't. If something is true for YOU, then it offers no value for anyone else. We can not test it and set up controlled double-blind trials. We can not isolate the cause. The fact that I may see a boogeyman in my closet every night and you don't does not make it true.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
I think it is far fetched to believe that ancient peoples knew way more about a phenomenon than science does now. That is basically saying that science has not advanced for several thousand years.

Just because some knowledge is old does not make it true. It was known for millenia that the earth is flat.

As for dowsing, no double-blind tests have ever showed any results. The amount of times they are correct is no different compared to guesswork.

I am of course willing to believe any and all things, they just need to be proved convincingly and have to be repeatable.

And what value is a truth that can't be attributed to all people? Either something is true or something isn't. If something is true for YOU, then it offers no value for anyone else. We can not test it and set up controlled double-blind trials. We can not isolate the cause. The fact that I may see a boogeyman in my closet every night and you don't does not make it true.

really? i think you need to look into your 'claims' a bit more, have a good life mate.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I think it may be you....
but I have no scientific data to back that up! :D
We have a scientific argument here ... if i aint been "discovered by science- it dont exist" vursus " science has not discovered everything yet".
I say scientifically engineered loo roll is no better than the loo roll that man has been using for millenia (or similar kind of statements) curent science would have got its users burned as witches in the past - who is to say that witches magic is not the science of the next few decades!
Rinced spagnum is better than wet wipes! - and less harmful to the environment :)

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Some people have a need to believe in superstitions and others have religion to aid them in life, i try not to get into any long conversations with either as it always ends up in arguments, i have no problem with either but i do not believe in superstitions or religion as such, i recently had a friend say god bless to me so i answered may his god go with him and he started a row about there only being one god, i merely reminded that other religions dont have the same belief and he went on one!.

I asked another friend about tree identification as i was in a woods and wanted to learn and she got into the science side of things waffling on about chemical structures and stuff, now i am on the look for a small pack sized book and will not ask her again:)

I cant stand people over complicating things and not willing to accept there is more than one explanation to things, i am all for learning new things but some people have the need to go into minute details and make things too confusing, i have taught people to do almost every trade in the building industry and have tought mechanics and welding, most recently i taught machine engineering all without having to over complicate the instructions.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
cbrdave, as you say each to their own, i dont believe in either religion or superstition and i certainly dont want to discuss it here for fear of getting banned! but i wont be ridiculed for daring to have an open outlook :D

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire

There are a few cases in which ancient knowledge proves to be much much more advanced than we could believe possible.

The very first human civilisation, which arose around 4000bc, KNEW that the our solar system had the sun at the centre, they also knew of 11 planets which revolved around the sun. They carved pictures of it onto temple walls. :)

solarsystem.jpgsumerian_samaritan_artifact.jpg

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
There are a few cases in which ancient knowledge proves to be much much more advanced than we could believe possible.

The very first human civilisation, which arose around 4000bc, KNEW that the our solar system had the sun at the centre, they also knew of 11 planets which revolved around the sun. They carved pictures of it onto temple walls. :)

View attachment 8211View attachment 8212

Eleven? Even counting for Pluto getting a recent downgrade from planet to flying spud that's still two planets too many.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and the flying spud/Pluto.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Please don't anyone disparage the thoughts of others who post on this topic.

There are a lot of references, facts and opinions on who, what and why we exist and feel what we do.

Listen and enjoy the differing views, don't let such get banned because of bickering.
I really like to hear of the facts and opinions that I haven't managed to research myself.

There is so much to open your mind to and then decide what you believe.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Please don't anyone disparage the thoughts of others who post on this topic.

There are a lot of references, facts and opinions on who, what and why we exist and feel what we do.

Listen and enjoy the differing views, don't let such get banned because of bickering.
I really like to hear of the facts and opinions that I haven't managed to research myself.

There is so much to open your mind to and then decide what you believe.

I agree. I apologize if I got carried away and contradicted my initial subject with my actions. But I do like a good debate on a subject, I wouldn't consider it bickering. Also listening to different viewpoints is fascinating. But as some have said - one can only take so much. :)

I do like folklore and mythology, Scandinavian especially. The people of Estonia have also called themselves people of the forest for thousands of years and it is extremely interesting to read what the ancestors thought about the world.

Their knowledge of the natural world was vast and I believe I have a lot to learn from them, but distinguishing between beliefs and truths is important.

Getting out and comparing how prehistoric people might have perceived the world is all the more interesting now that we have amazing scientific theories on how the universe started. Sitting on a log in the forest and feeling small and irrelevant compared to our planet and the universe is wonderful.

And since I don't want to start another thread, Happy New Year to everyone who might read this! :)

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'm not speaking of anyone who's posted Jaan, just trying to nip in the bud any nonsense as we've seen it all too often before, where a good learning discussion can soon be taken over by argument instead.

Hope this next year can be better for all.

December is going to be interesting though.....lol.

Respect to all who frequent this forum, the hoolet loves you one and all.

Tom

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

View attachment 8211View attachment 8212

So you're saying they already knew about the existance of 11 planets out of the 9? (actually 8 now that Pluto was demoted I suppose) Or have the excess planets catastrophecally been destroyed? I'm not being facesious; I really am curious if there is more to this story.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
The planets were reclassified a couple of years ago. Officially there are now 8 major planets and 5 dwarf planets, though one of them is actually an asteroid called Ceres. So thats 13, though i would hardly class an asteroid as a dwarf planet so i'd say 12.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_System

If you look closely at the pics i posted, there are 8 circles directly around the sun circle and 3 smaller ones set back from the others. Maybe thats just me looking too closely though. :)

Eleven? Even counting for Pluto getting a recent downgrade from planet to flying spud that's still two planets too many.
Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and the flying spud/Pluto.

Last edited:

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The most telling thing against stuff like astrology is that they do not predict or anticipate even though they were and are in the business of prediction. Astrologers of a particular age rubbed along with whatever number of planets had been discovered then until a scientist found another one which was then incorporated into their rigmarole. Not one astrologer said, as scientists did, that there is an anomaly in the path of this planet which may be explained by another one existing further out.

Whatever feelings and fears may be felt they are not evidence except to your own state of mind. Fortunately the human mind is programmed to experience anything up to ecstacy when nature is putting on a show. Incidentally if it is not too far OT would the poster mind explaining what a "bigoted atheist " is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE