Scary camping story!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jwken100

Aug 19, 2008
Leeds
I have just got back from a camping trip with my friend Rob. We went to a place in north east Scotland. We arrived on a Wednesday a couple of weeks back at about 11am. When we got there we did the usual walk to campsite, clear campsite set up camp etc. That night we had a few beers and carved things by the camp fire with our knives. We went to bed pretty early because it was quite cold. Later that night I woke up because I needed the toilet. As I was sat in my hammock putting my boots on I heard some rustling from robs tent. I said to rob 'ey up Rob, can't you sleep mate?' he replied back 'nah mate' His voice sounded different but I thought it must of been because he was half asleep! I said: 'you sound pretty rough'. I walked off into the woods to the place we had set up to **** in. On the 1 minute walk there I heard some rustling in front of me, I froze thinking the worst. Then, just as I was picking up a stick from the floor ready to unleash hell, Rob walks out from behind a bush in front of me. I was shocked he got there so fast. He was a bit jumpy too because he said he thought I was asleep and didn't know what was making the noise near the **** place. I said to him 'what, you knew I was up I spoke to you a second ago.'

Turns out Rob was having a **** in the woods when I thought I was talking to him in camp. When we realised this we ran back to the camp to see who was there. But no one was there. Who ever it was could have been snooping around the camp for at least 10 minutes before I woke up. The guy also took my torch.

Needless to say we didn't sleep any more that night and we packed up the camp first thing in the morning and left.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
That's heavy mate , i would'nt have even waited till the next morning, i would have packed ma gear and got to f**k ...
it's terrible u cannie go camping without some f****n weirdo watching u ...

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Thats put the shivers down me, you can't even go for a sh** in the middle of no where in the middle of the night, and still some one nicks ya stuff, unbelievable, is there any where you can go without these theiving bas***d*.
sorry to here about your tourch, but at least you are safe, it could have been a lot worse mate, he could have tried to take your AR*E, lol. on a serious note, he could of attacked you who No's, glad my rottie bull-mastiff mix comes every where with me, when i'm out camping, only wish he would have stuck his head in my tent, he would not be snooping about now.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Forget a ghost story, that is actually much much worse. I dont think it would have been as bad if the torch hadnt gone because then it would be a simple case of tired, may have mis heard/mind playing tricks on ya but to know someone was actually rooting around your camp. Thats terrible, glad it all worked out safely though

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
Weird stuff indeed. You've got to respect the guys minerals though: this thief chose to steal from a couple of guys which were probably armed with more sharps than your average camper! I know when I go out I usually carry at least one knife and a hatchet, I know others carry twice or three times the amount of sharps that I do.

Safe camping! :)

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
good god that sucks!!! maybe it was a vagrant who is using the woods as a permanent place to live??

Shame about your torch though mate anything else missing?

pretty good job you woke up when you did or there may have been more than a torch missing......... you never know!

Dave

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Was just thinking the same Tam. There are several escape and evasion/survival courses run up around the Dundee area and of course there's the 45 Commando unit nr Arbroath, so plenty of scope perhaps to be something along those lines. When I did mine we were allowed to take anything with us provided it could fit into a tobacco tin so very little really but we could scavenge or procure anything we came across if it were useful. Just a possibility mate.

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
Hi that was a very unpleasant experience!~
Couldn't you find any tracks,and trace him !
After that beat the hell out of him.

Theo

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Creepy!

The thief was obviously very confident in what he was doing, to calmly reply to your question and sit back whilst you walked away from your camp must surely point to a certain amount of training or prior experience.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Hahahahahahaha are you sure your chum hadn't just been coverting your torch? Was he out of breath when you meet him in the bushes? have you reported to the local police that there is some guy comfidently going through peoples tents! to go into a tent shows a massive amount of. Either confidence or desperation, neither good things in someone with a low set of morals, why did he only take your torch? No food? Warm kit? Surreal!

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Is this a regularly used campsite? Could be the guy is a regular thief, would explain why he was so cool about it.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
WHAT A SCUMBAG! Myself and my pal Scott (welshwoodsman) went camping one weekend a few years back and there was a guy walking around the woods at 3am he said he was looking for a chainsaw! Bearing in mind it was november and the weather was awful rain and sleet all weekend, I dont think he would have harmed us still you dont expect that at 3am, its a good job that we were shelter fire camping with no sleeping bags to get out of, i think the axes and knives would have put him off doing something silly! There were 3 other guys there sleeping in hammocks but they were oblivious to it all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE