Scallop Shell Lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Made one of these tonight - takes no time - smells like chips...

Burningsmall.jpg

I say how to make it on my blog but they are really simple and fun. Nice warm orange flame. But they do smell.

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
Nice lamp, I was thinking you could also use oyster shells as you often find these washed up on the beaches and they can be pretty large. I made a really good lamp by pecking out a big chunk of red sandstone that I found on a shingle beach, into a fairly nice sized bowl. I used sunflower oil for the fuel and the chunks from the tube layer of a polypore fungus (think it was ganoderma applanatum) for the wick. The tube layer of polypore fungi makes an EXCELLENT wick because the hollow structure of the tubes. You should try it!

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Nice, is suet also known as beef dripping? We use that stuff in our chip pan

Not quite but it may do. Suet is solid fat thats taken from the animal as part of the butchery process. Dripping is a part of the juices and fat collected whilst cooking. Any fat should do but tallow wont go off

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
I've not seen the light from a pine knot so can't compare. But it really isn't that bright at all. It'd be enough to read by in the pitch blackness of a cave. I would imagine that a family group would have 4 or 5 of these going at a time. It is a very pleasant orange light though. Now I have to go and make me some pine knot lights to compare - cool...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE