sawyer mini problem?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Getting personal now, shut it up or lock the thread down.

Great contribution again mate :rolleyes:

One single post in the entire thread and that was to have a go at others that are at least trying to help the op.

I disagree with BB but at least he is contributing his opinion.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
No connection to the company at all, simply sharing experiences. Sorry you've decided to go personal with it.

I dont sell second hand cars either.

Actually, reading other posts Cbr6f, itseems no one else is allowed an opinion if it disagrees with yours. Seems this has went that way.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
No connection to the company at all, simply sharing experiences. Sorry you've decided to go personal with it.

I dont sell second hand cars either.

Actually, reading other posts Cbr6f, itseems no one else is allowed an opinion if it disagrees with yours. Seems this has went that way.

I'm sorry you feel that way, i felt your comment (bit of a fashion) was made purely to troll up a reaction, i don't see how else it could be taken, so i called it as i saw it.

The odd thing is i've never stated one device is better than the other, i'd tried all the way through the thread to avoid that.

There is no right or wrong for what product works best for you, my only problem is when you try to belittle other peoples choices by calling them "a bit 'of the fashion' right now"

I have absolutely no loyalty to Sayer what-so-ever, if i have to replace my filters then i will buy what i think suits my purposes best, if that means a newfangledwaterfilter #1 then so be it.

I think the disagreement has come about as i only include measurable factors in my choice, where from your posts it seems that certification is more important, that's not having a go that's entirely your choice for the activities you do

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Still poking this with a stick I see..

Please don't accuse me of trolling. You know I wasn't, nor do I have a history of it.

As for the rest, well, back to thinly veiled passive aggresive insults. What was that you said about helpful comments?

Yeah, Bill out.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Great contribution again mate :rolleyes:

One single post in the entire thread and that was to have a go at others that are at least trying to help the op.

I disagree with BB but at least he is contributing his opinion.

One post on a thread is fine, I read it all, usual stuff spouted by Sawyer fans (and I have two mini filters).

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
First Need XL = 624g
Sawyer Mini = 40g

this and this alone is why the sawyer is so popular ,but when this happens and you end up getting 6 litres of water from the nearest farmhouse to chug the rest of the journey well that 40g weight just turned into 3,4,5? kilos , it may have been safe to drink but i wasnt about to neck 1l of it and find out wheras if the filter made the dirty water clean at least i know it is doing its job.now i would really like to run a side by side test

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
So have figured out how to get rid of the OP's issue of colour? I did think about straining it through 'something' but if it's gone through a filter already...

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

steingis

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
cleveland
i wouldnt be as concerned about the colour but if people are saying similar filters are having water come through clear i know which i would rather have

looks like billyblade isnt the only one saying so

I got the sawyer sqeuze and to be honest so far I'm not that impressed.

It doesn't filter chemicles and if you try and filter muddy/brown water it still comes through brown which doesn't happen on other filter I've tried

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112833&highlight=sawyer

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
First Need XL = 624g
Sawyer Mini = 40g

this and this alone is why the sawyer is so popular ,but when this happens and you end up getting 6 litres of water from the nearest farmhouse to chug the rest of the journey well that 40g weight just turned into 3,4,5? kilos , it may have been safe to drink but i wasnt about to neck 1l of it and find out wheras if the filter made the dirty water clean at least i know it is doing its job.now i would really like to run a side by side test

It's a tough one with water.

When i hike here in Greece in the summer months it seems like i spend more time looking for water than i do hiking (not the case but it seems that way), i've carried in more than 12 litres of water on remote hikes in the summer here as i couldn't say 100% that i'd find a water source anywhere on the route.
Even when i'm back in the UK because i'm choosy from where i take my water, that has meant long detours.

As i said previously, IMO there is no "one solution" for clean safe water that's practical to carry around when hiking, so it really comes down to using some common sense.

For me this mean in and around large populated areas i won't take water from a river, to be honest even when i'm hiking around Derbyshire, the lakes etc i still won't take water from low land rivers unless i had to.

Sounds difficult, but i can't say as i've ever really had a problem finding someone to give me some water in low land areas especially around areas of high population.
I've asked and gotten water from farms, petrol stations, pubs, public toilets, parks and houses, it's a bit of a ball ache asking but it's better than taking water from low land rivers running through highly populated areas (to me).

I have several mates that don't filter, some boil some don't even bother doing that, none have gotten ill yet.
I never used to bother filtering or boiling for years, i must have drank hundreds of litres of untreated water for years, it's only after i got very very ill from what i strongly suspect was contaminated water that i started boiling, then filtering.

It used to be thought that you had to drink at least 10 cysts for it to affect you, it's now thought that only 1 will do the job.
So you have to be unlucky enough to scoop up 1 or more out of a water source that's thousands if not millions of litres.

To put that into perspective a cyst will be around 0.4 to 0.6 micron, a human hair is around 100 micron in width.
You cannot see cysts without a microscope, so judging how safe water is to drink by the colour doesn't mean anything, that's really the point i am trying to put across.

The only exception to this would be if you knew exactly the size of the detritus that was colouring the water.

It's also pointless comparing how one filter removes colouring from one water source, to another filter not removing colouring from a completely different water source.
As the sample water is completely different from a completely different location it's pointless to compare.

It's like saying i drank water from a mountain stream and didn't get ill so all water around the world must be safe.

Even then IF another filter removes the colouring it doesn't mean the water is safer to drink than the one that doesn't IF the one that doesn't is working correctly.

As i say i have absolutely zero loyalty to Sawyer, i use their products because right now they're the best solution for me.
I just think that because some bloke off the internet says that his brand X has removed some colouring from some other completely different water source it doesn't mean that:
a/ The water wasn't safe to drink
b/ That brand X is better

Lets compare apples to apples.
If brand X removed colouring that the Sawyer wasn't able to, then it's obvious that brand X is filtering more efficiently than the Sawyer, but lets try the same water source before jumping to conclusions.

If i was the op then:
1/ I wouldn't take water from a river
2/ If i even slightly suspected the Sawyer i'd beg, borrow or buy another to try it against

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
i wouldnt be as concerned about the colour but if people are saying similar filters are having water come through clear i know which i would rather have

From different water sources though, so not a direct comparison.

Different detritus will be different sizes, plus the detritus from a fast flowing river is likely to have been pounded smaller than the detritus from a still lake.

Be good to see a comparison of dirty water with other 0.1 micron filters on the market.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Go for it Mark!

I'll provide a Bilbank Mk2 plus the cost of 5ltrs petrol/paraffin for the 'coarse filter & boil' element of the comparison.

Very generous mate :notworthy

I only have a Sawyer Mini, Sawyer squeeze and a RO filter/pump to compare though.
I know beforehand the RO filter/pump will kick the rump of the Sawyers in filtering, but fall flat on it's face for practicability, so there is no point even comparing those.

Other problem is finding dirty/peaty type water.
Closest consistent natural water source is a lake (lake Marathonos) that's around 40 mins drive away, i've taken water from there many times before though and it's crystal clear.
I can't think of anywhere i've visited in Greece that has peaty or dirty type water that's not salt water.

Be fantastic if we could find some sort of colouring to add to water that's a consistent say 0.5 micron in size.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE