Saving/Storing the dust from a bowdrill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Not the burning bit!
right now i have clarified that, (apologies if i get the terminology wrong)
i remember reading an article somewhere where the writer claimed to use the dust formed in the socket of the bowdrill another time after making it, he stored it in a rawhide vessel and literally filled the notch of his hearth gave it a few strokes and out came an ember
Has anyone tried this?
does it work?
is it worth storing it as a contingency plan?
i hope to nail bowdrill fire ignition in the next week or so

wildranger

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 29, 2011
Ireland
There are a few little tricks like this, like keeping the dust from your first failed attempt in the notch for the next attempt. Another good trick is to use ground down charcoal or even just small chunks of charcoal as an ember extender in your tinder bundle (if you already had a fire or found an old fire site).

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I keep any dust left over in a small plastic bag and use it to part fill the notch before I start. Works for me.

Valid practice? I'm not bothered what the purists think.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
yes Sam it should work fine, or adleast help save some energy when you start, that way helping your technice, then helping to get a coal...

once you have done it a few times it will become more easy mate...i will do a basic bow drill video for you at some point, i do my one a little differant from most, as in i have 2 stages, this means you can rest in between if you need to...

regards.

chris.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE