Save the Wild Beavers!

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
A wild beaver has moved into the river otter in Devon, for the first time in centuries.

It's due to be caught and re-homed by Defra, but its had three kits, and Devon Wildlife Trust said it was working to get a licence from Natural England for the "non-native species" to remain on the river.

There's a petition HERE you can sign, if you want the Beavers to be able to remain on the river.

Speaking as an angler, I hope they are allowed to stay.

Full Story HERE

Video of the Beaver and Kits HERE

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
great vid where he/she is scratching away at it's pot belly

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Arn't they a pest in over the pond?

Do you mean, 'Arent they a pest in from over the pond',

If youre asking, are they a pest introduced from America.

No.....:rolleyes:.....of course not....

The beaver is the most important, formerly native, animal to Britain that could create landscapes that protect our native plants and animals. They also save taxpayers money in water treatment and flood management costs. The beaver was hunted to extinction and we have a duty to bring them back to our rivers. The effects of beavers will improve water quality, reduce flooding and help turn our river banks back into wildlife havens. This is resisted by some groups who want to exploit our river banks for private gain or fear change in the countryside.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are, uncontrolled, yes, and beavers are famous for altering the environment.

Beavers are a big problem in S America...However the attempt to trap them is half hearted...remember it took trappers nearly 400 years to make an impact on beaver populations in N America.

However European beaver not so much so...What kind of beaver is this? (though even the experts find them hard to tell apart)

(And of course a European beaver would hardly account as a non native animal, would it?)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
It's a european beaver. I'd be happy for them to make a comeback in England, as they are doing in Scotland.

So, no, its not an American Pest. Cant find a facepalm emoticon.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Because that what the enviromental scientist in the article I linked says.....

Just sign the thing! Surely all men all men love beaver! [still cant find a facepalm]

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......On more serious note would we not have them blocking the canals and water-ways?......

Not sure about the European ones, but the North American beavers only build dams to block flowing streams so as to make them deeper and wider. Seems unlikely they'd ever dam a canal or other still water body. No real advantage for them in doing so.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I think we should consider if we can control beaver numbers before we say we `want` beaver.

We don't seem to do much with our excess deer populace, do we? (a vector for Lymes disease)

Beaver, as I have said before, are natures great engineers. A few are a desirable and indeed beneficial thing, too many would be problematic.

Haggis

Nomad
Where there is no need for a dam, beaver will still build a lodge of mud and sticks. Where the water is too fast to dam, or to allow building a lodge, the beaver will burrow into the bank, below the water line, to make its home.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I think we should consider if we can control beaver numbers before we say we `want` beaver.

We don't seem to do much with our excess deer populace, do we? (a vector for Lymes disease)

Yes we do, there's a large amount of culling that goes on, in some places probably too much and too little in others.

As for the beavers I think they should only be allowed to stay if all the various hurdles that would be required to release them are met now. Otherwise your just telling people to ignore the laws and carry on regardless and I doubt people would be too happy if someone clear-felled a woodland without permission.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE