Save Our Forests - Britain Act Now

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattburgess

Tenderfoot
Jun 22, 2009
Wivenhoe
I've been doing some snooping over the last week regarding all this. The Countryside Alliance thought there could potentially be huge benefits from the sell-off…

Dear Matt

Thank you for your email to the Countryside Alliance regarding the sale of the Forestry Commission land.

Presently there is no large co-ordinated group opposing the proposed Government sale of woodland, lots of local ones are springing up to protect specific woodlands. There are also a lot of people/groups talking behind the scenes, but are not yet public. I suggest you keep an eye on the internet for further information.

I suspect a lot of organisations, including the Alliance, are waiting for the consultation to be published.

In principle there could be huge potential benefits of managing woodland privately. Many private woodlands are managed sustainably, provide public access and recreation, local employment, contribute to the economy and are areas of high conservation value.

However, the devil is in the detail regarding the Government's proposals. We would need to see a clear policy in place that protected existing rights of access/recreation, including sporting rights, areas of high wildlife value and still ensured a significant revenue potential through the sell off, which the commission can plough back into the sustainable management of their remaining holdings.

It is hard to comment more specifically until we have sight of the consultation, which will be reviewing and responding accordingly.

Kind Regards
Sarah Lee

…and maybe suggesting that it’s all been blown out of proportion…?

Thought you might be interested in this - http://ww2.defra.gov.uk/news/2011/01/18/mythbusters-forestry/
Kind regards
Sarah

Anyway, as well as the 38 degrees petition there is other stuff you can do. Here is a link with suggestions, and a spreadsheet of forests/woodlands with the associated MP contact details… http://saveenglandsforests.org/what-can-i-do. There’s also a map (http://saveenglandsforests.org/about) showing woodlands at risk.

Also some interesting reading here - the Woodland Trust, the Confederation of Forest Industries, the RSPB, the Wildlife Trusts, the British Horse Society, the Ramblers and the Kennel Club. Local campaigning groups have begun to build support in areas as diverse as the Forest of Dean, Haldon Forest near Exeter, Thetford Forest in East Anglia, Cannock Chase, the Lake District and Sherwood Forest, and new groups are forming rapidly.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just in case their really is anyone who gives a toss in my local area-(and I often wonder:()

The Friends of Chopwell Wood are organising a series of "get togethers" in the wood itself, to try and raise public awareness of the fact, that Chopwell Wood, really is going to be sold off to private buyers.

On the subject of the "Friends":

I know they appear to be a bunch of local , middle class, nimby,"Do Gooders" but most of the group, are just ordinary folk, who actually spend a good bit of time, trying to do their best for the Wood and the people who use it for recreation.

The "residents" ( with the exception of one couple!) meanwhile, have gone out of their way,for more than 14 years, to snipe at the Friends ( as well as the FC) and undermine ( quite ironic:D) everything the Friends have tried to do.
Even now, there are several of the residents who think nothing will happen and continue to try to disrupt the Friends activities:togo:
I wonder if they realise, what will happen to their property values, if the sale goes ahead?:D

The point is that there are large and very valuable reserves of coal, sand and gravel under the wood, which have already been surveyed and confirmed by drilling/testing, some 20 years back.
This is why the FOCW was formed, to fight against that sell off and take on the stewardship of the wood as a woodland park.

The chances are, that the wood will be sold off, probably to a Chinese or Japanese buyer, stripped of its timber, then turned into an open cast mine/quarry for 15-20 years, then "landscaped" and "returned to its original state".
Though of course there would be a huge hole left after the extraction, that might easily be utilised as a land fill site for another 20 years!

So on Wednesday 26th January, that's THIS Wednesday at 1pm and then again on Sunday 13th February

There will be public, open meetings, in the main carpark, to try to make the everyday users of the wood, aware of the real likelihood of the loss of the wood and the potential consequences to the local area and indeed, the area all round for at least 10 miles.

These are not "demonstrations" merely a gathering of "interested parties".
Representatives from horse riding, mountain biking, red kites,ramblers etc etc etc are all expected to turn up to show support and try to get folk to sign the petition, contact their MP's and generally let it be known that; people do give a toss

If you use the wood for recreation of any kind, whether official,casual or even "covertly":bandit: please try to get along and join in. The TV and radio bloodsuckers are expected to be there and the more people make a stand the better chance we have of stopping this going ahead.

A note ref the SHAMEFUL attitude of Kielder District Forestry Commission officials;
They have REFUSED permission to erect gazebo's or marquee's in the carpark for these events, on the grounds of "health and safety"

I hope that the people who are making these decisions and undermining the anti sell off activities, realise that in fact; we are fighting to secure their future employment?

One final point; it appears that Chopwell Wood is actually Crown Property.
According to one of our local historian's, it was one of only three woodlands handed over to the Forestry Commission, from the King's estates, back around 1919.
This means, that any revenue generated by a sell off of this particular woodland, would go back to the Queen and not actually help fill the Governments coffers at all!

Please get along if you can

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Also heard on the program that the Scottish Assembly and Welsh Assembly have stop the sale in these Countries.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jeremy Vine was talking about this on Radio 2 this afternoon someone form Chopwell Wood was on, its on the first half hour.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xgmhm

Yes that was Liz Searle, our or rather their( since I resigned last December:rolleyes:) spokesperson.

She's not ideal as she does come across as a bit of a "nimby" and a "do gooder":(

She's neither of those in fact and keeps the Friends of Chopwell Wood going if the truth was told!
She certainly does good works.:35:

thanks to all for the support but as I say; anyone local enough to make it, please do come along, it'd be great to meet you;)

best wishes

Steve

Last edited:
N

nick

Hi All,

This is a very emotive issue. Even among people like us who love the outdoors and our countryside there is a whole range of opinions on various aspects. Unfortunately there is a lack of solid information on this. Certain large bodies (who should know better) are putting a spin on this that can only lead one to believe a deal may already have been talked about.

It’s easy to take the position that the only thing we should worry about is ancient woodland and planted ancient woodland sites. Sure, these are rare and highly important habitats. However, when you start to include amenity in our lists of wants from our countryside, these are probably the last place you’d want people to go mountain biking or horse riding.

So, the plantations, planted largely in times when they were fashionable forestry, actually are important to us. This issue is about more than ecology. One of the major issues for me is the continued right to access our countryside.

Whatever you think of the Forestry Commission you can’t argue with it’s access policy. Since the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (Crow) almost all FC owned land has at least walking access. This will continue if it is sold.

However, and this is a big however, the FC only owns the freehold on around 200,000 acres - less than a third of it’s total estate. The rest is leased. 92% of this leased land is either dedicated under Crow for access on foot or has guaranteed access in perpetuity (e.g. New Forest). When the lease is sold, the new owners have no obligations and the access may not be guaranteed.

It’s likely that unless some new legislation appears, many existing permissive paths will simply disappear over the next few years. This is currently not part of the bill.

The issue isn’t really around who runs our forests, it’s about us having access to our countryside and making sure ecology and the environment are safeguarded.

Two friends and I think this definitely won’t be the case if the FC estate is disposed of in the proposed way. We also think that there’s a woeful lack of opportunity to find out about the real issues and facts so we’ve started a website and forum to get these issues out and get people talking about them. If they find it just isn’t right we can point them in the direction to do something about it before it’s too late.

Sorry, this has turned into a tiny wee bit of a rant :) but feel very passionate about this issue!

Nick
www.saveourwoods.co.uk

N

nick

P.S before anyone asks, we're not just tree hugging hippies :) between us we have professional experience in outdoor ed (including bushcraft & woodland crafts), woodland management, expedition training, permaculture er, and knowing how to kick up a fuss :D

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Signed. Public Forests should remain under the control of the public. Although, The right of people to collect wood from Britain’s forests that was created under the Magna Carta which was overturned in 2008 due to health and safety [BS] should be redressed.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE