Sass Ventile vs. BCUK Ventile

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I'm undecided between the two. I like the bcuk's 'civvie' appearance, I've had sass kit before and the only downside is the military appearance.

Seeing as I'm just a bit on the hyourge side I'd need the bespoke option and the jacket's being made for me I'd like to see if I could get the jacket made without the bcuk label, no offense, but I hate labels on clothing and I'm a bit obsessive-compulsive about it. Who would I talk to about the bcuk jackets on here?

So, any arguments for and against? I know from doing a few searches on here a lot of people have either jacket and a few have both!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I liked my chat with the folks at Sass, and their stuff is supposed to be well made, but I want brown - I asked to have the BCUK logo left off too, but this was not an option.

The features of the BCUK look great, I'm waiting to hear from Tony if they are doing one in brown.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm sure both will work. I bought my SASS one before the BCUK was available and have been delighted from the first phone call. I like the huge patch pockets since I can get big stuff like caeras, binoculars etc. in and out easily. For that reason alone I would choose a smock design again, but it does give it a bit of a military look so if thats off putting I'd say go with the BCUK model.

If you mail Shelly at the shopp address I'm sure she will help you out with the coat

Red

Green Arrow

Nov 5, 2006
Hampshire UK
I have the BCUK jacket and am very impressed with it. The hood is particularly good as it stretches out well in front to protect you from the rain as well as scrunching down tight to stop the wind blowing it in.

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
I asked to have the BCUK logo left off too, but this was not an option.

Hmmm, that'd be enough to ruin it for me I'm afraid. I'd like to think I could just ignore it but I know from past experience the logo would just bug the hell out of me every time I saw it.

I was umming and ahhing about the brown one too after seeing a post in here about it, but with the logo being compulsory I think it's going to have to be the sass smock...

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'm very much in the SASS camp. I cannot help thinking that having a bespoke ventile jacket at that price and of that quality really cannot be beaten.

Tell me Jambo, what in particular is it about the SASS smocks do you not like? If it is the patch pockets then just talk to Paul at SASS because, as i said, it's bespoke. They will add things you want and remove thing's you don't want. Honestly, they are so accomodating you'll end up going back for more!

Having said all that, there were some peep's using the BCUK one at the Moot this year and i was very impressed. I really did like the cut and the features have been thought through. Unfortunatly, i cannot justify spending that much money on a second ventile, but if i had the funds, it would be in my top five items of clothing to purchase, right behind Swanndri Ranger in Olive/brown, Swazi field shirt in olive, Rogue boots and a Kakadu hat!

(By the way, that list was only for the benefit of the 'Long Haired Colonel' who sometimes comes on here to have a nosey) Merry Christmas Love!:D

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Jedadiah, nothing really. I much prefer the SASS smock to the BCUK jacket to be honest, I think the SASS smock would be a lot more practical and having had their kit (albeit a long time ago) before I know it's top notch.

The only downside is that I'd be using the smock for a few things as well as bushcrafty stuff, e.g. walking the pooches, watching sand racing e.t.c. so really I'd kind of prefer something a little less military in appearance.

I'm swinging a lot more towards the SASS smock at the moment though...

Jambo

Forager
Jul 21, 2007
U.K.
Just have to wait till I get paid in the next few days now! What sort of measurements do they ask for besides the obvious, e.g. chest?

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Chest, arms, back length etc.. remember that they cut it quite baggy, so if you want a 'normal' fit give one size too small..

I wear mine almost everyday during the winter and on rainy 'summer' days too. OG doesn't look military to most eyes..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE