sass smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm not sure of the kind of proofing but Paul definitely said it was proofed and it is long lasting stuff as long as care is taken when washing it.
He said use the minimum amount of detergent and choose something very gentle like pure soap flakes which you can buy in packets from supermarkets or Ecover's handwashing liquid.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
A few weeks on and I've had more of a chance to put the smock through its paces. I really like it now.

The fabric is quite different to ventile in appearance, slightly shinier (maybe due to the proofing?) and lighter I think but it really does the job.

I'm impressed with how much weather it keeps out. I was out in steady fairly heavy rain for an hour and a half the other day and not a drop came through, which was better than I expected. Perfect for our climate - money well spent I reckon.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
If you really want Ventile for your SASS smock, you can buy yourself some seconds (= perfect as far as I could see) from Talbot themselves and Paul will make you up any of his jackets using your material. I got an olive green Ventile SASS Force 8 smock and a tan Ventile SASS Field Smock made up - brilliant.

Nonsuch

Trojan

Silver Trader
Mar 20, 2009
The Countryside
If you really want Ventile for your SASS smock, you can buy yourself some seconds (= perfect as far as I could see) from Talbot themselves and Paul will make you up any of his jackets using your material. I got an olive green Ventile SASS Force 8 smock and a tan Ventile SASS Field Smock made up - brilliant.

Nonsuch

HI

if you dont mind me asking Nosuch- how much was your smocks to make if you provide the material.

I still love my Kit Karry!

Thanks

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
I spoke to the Sales Director of Ventile not long ago, who said that the fabric comes treated with a flourocarbon type finish, to make the water bead up. This will presumably wear off over time, so the fabric will rely on its inherent properties (ie swelling fibres) to keep the rain out. The DWR could be renewed with cotton proof or similar. I don't know if the SASS fabric is similarly treated though.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ok just a few points as I spoke to Paul at Sass today.
The manufacturer reckons its as good as ventile if not better as they tried to improve on ventile. I does stiffen up when wet but not as much as what people say ventile does.

Any idea what the fabric is? If the specs are that good I would want some, in order to make a new smock and pants for myself.

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
I have one of the OG SASS smocks and more than pleased with it.
It is cut well with plenty of room to layer clothes underneath it.It will take light rain for some time then it will get wet.However it dries out without too much problem.

As for washing i have always thrown mine in the machine on a wool wash.I have not got the time to hand wash it.As for the waterproofing i never expected it to be waterproof,all breathable fabrics will get wet eventually,even Goretex.

I have never found it rustly,even when brand new.Some may want more pockets but find the standard pockets more than enough for essentials.But all in all a good allround robust outdoor jacket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE