SASS Jacket arriving tomorrow :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Evening folks.
Ordered my jacket the other day(Tuesday I think (Olive with hood retaining tab, double d ring an extra inside pocket) but was told they didn't have any in my size and that it would have to be made up.

Got a lovely call today saying that the material was actually ready and I'll be receiving it tomorrow :D RMSD ;)

I'm rather the excited. Hope it fits alright!
Had a great discussion we Paul on the phone so really should be no problems.

Absolutely love the service from those guys. They call you back if they miss your call (I didn't even leave a message,) they're extremely polite, their phone maners are impeccable.

I'll try and get up a review after Ive used it a few times. It's due to chuck it down so fingers crossed its still raining when I pick it up ;)

Psyched :D

Mabs

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Very good to deal with and a good jacket. A little warm for the summer but mine has been well used. So many pockets its also my possibles bag.
D

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
You will love it mate,i can remember getting mine about 13 years ago,and its still like new .

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
13 years! Madness :D

It should keep me fne and toasty as I run 'hot'.
Working away I'm in a t shirt especially when tree felling in winter.

It's surprising how cold you can get though once stationary..

Ahh excitment.
Got my Gransfors wildlife yesterday :)

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Well my jacket is here and I am mightily impressed.
It certainly is generous in the size department and sadly a bit too long on the arms (between first knuckle and second knuckle).
One fold of the sleeve (using velcro straps as a guide) seems to be the trick. Its about 1 3/4 inches and although still long on my hand I think it's best long than too short.
Two folds seem perfect but slightly short if I swing my arms like a madman ;)

Just spoken to Paul at SASS and I'm to call back at 6 as he's off to the post office. As ever he was most polite.

I also didn't realise the velcro on the storm flap isnt full length and due to the generous nature of the fabric it certainly catches the wind.
Will see if they can whack on a full length velcro for me.
All depends on cost ofcourse. ;)

Overall it's a nice jacket, certainly one to snuggle up in.
It's blwoing a hoolie today with a whack o rain (nothing heavy just lots of fine droplets) and it seems great :D

mabster

Mar 15, 2010
Shetland
Sorted :D
Spoke to the lovely lady. Mosty polite and has quite the nice accent.

Sending it back for the shorted size. 2 inches shorter on sleeves and body which will be perfect.
After looking closer the double thicknes elbows weren't on my elbows but should be with the shorter size.

Buy british folks. You won't be dissapointed.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
They will only do "standard" mods. I asked about making up a double layer smock which they declined in case I didn't like it. The lady told me that only the mods on the website are completed.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i have had 2, i had an 'almost-ventile' one, standard version, absolutely fantastic garment, but cut very small, i gave my usuall size and it never seemed long enough and broad enough, the tolerances given on the sizing seem quite broad, i wear a 180/104 and the nearest they did was 102-107 for the chest which seemed a big vaiance window, mine was on the smaller size i found. eventually i sold it after 2 years to a lucky guy in oz. just after i bought that one, one came up on the bay and i got it for 40 quid, longer pockets not the ventile but the classic gaberdine, same size, fits brilliant on chest but little skimpy on the the arm gussets and a little short again!, i will have another, probably an xmas pressie i reckon, but will go for a 190/112, fantastic kit if i could only get it right! or may go to snowsled or west winds.

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Mabster,

You will come to love your jacket over the years. In have one, bought one for my wife and would recommend SASS to anyone. Even untreated in the rain, the water just balled and rolled off. I have used one in the Sahara and the Atlas and it was superbly breathable...

...and they have done one off mods for me. My first was a standard jacket and I wanted one without pockets as they are off no real use with a civilian style rucksack. Not only did Paul take my order and remove all the pockets from the design, but he knocked the price down as it was using less material - seems obvious but show me another company that would do that! (By the way the pic on their website of a pocketless jacket appeared a long time after my mod; before a clever spark announces it is now standard).

The only loss is that they don't make their own sacks any more. The olive escape and evade sack was bombproof and great for a compact day sack (mine still looks like new after more than 5 years use). Paul even modded a couple for me when I wanted a more robust material for the back contact area (and still didn't charge me a penny more!!!).

I would buy from them anytime...and I most certainly will again.

Enjoy your jacket, it will definitely look after you.

kawasemi

p.s. I am only a (VERY happy) customer who has nothing to gain from these comments :)...and so is my wife I have been told to add.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE