Sammi Article

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Hmmm....one of the largest threats to the reindeer herding samii and the Finnmarksvidda, is the samii themselves and their reindeer. The herds are way to large, and they use snowscooters, ATV's and helicopters to drive the animals. If you go up there you'll find wheel tracks everywhere, and in some locations what is in effect a dessert due to over grazing. There is also a lot of violence and strife, and that guns come out and are being used to "protect" grazing land against other peoples herds are not unheard of...

Actually allmost all the winter grazing areas in Finnmark is allready destroyed by over grazing and many areas have turned into dessert allready. The reindeer herds are cosntantly under nourished, and many simply starve to death.

In Troms and Nordland the problems are not that great as the herds are smaller.

Quite a rosy tinted article that...

Last edited:

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the post. I did see a programme a while back where the family actually lived in a lovely house with picture windows overlooking a fjord and only went in to the 'wilderness' at certain times of year. They did use skidoos and choppers. They did not seem to be poor and hard done by.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Here, there is a herd on the Cairngorms and I was 'told off' for Mountain biking - legally - on the plateau there by Rangers. After I discussed with them the actual Law (Outdoor Access Code), they relented. Slightly annoying as the Reindeers actually do more damage than I did. And the bit I was on is now promoted as a Mountain Bike route, but you can only access it from the Funicular if you pay !

Apr 19, 2013
Norway
"The most immediate threat, we were told, is from wolves, bears and wolverines.
Attracted by the reindeer herds, these predators are highly aggressive so Ellen-Anna warned us about going outside at night."

This is sooo true, every year hundreds of people are attacked by predators in Lapland. Or maybe not... I can't recall that humans have been attacked by wild predators since ww2 in that region. I call bull$#it.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
The comments are very amusing. Im afraid the Saami get very whitewashed these days, thus wiping out their impressive war record.

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
I have to agree with Bumbler on this one.
"Tourist samiis" and the real thing is two completely different things.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Just for the record; the sami "capital", where they have their parliament, is Karasjok, not Kautokeino.

I wonder if this article is a office piece written in London rather than in Finmark.
Given that the article has photos of the writer and his children with the Sami, I think he might have travelled there and interviewed people.

Bumbler's info is very interesting. How much of the overgrazing is due to the grazing areas being restricted or reduced?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Karasjok is where their parliament is where-as Kautokeino seems to be the cultural capital. I was led to believe that they're pretty fluid about it?

Apr 19, 2013
Norway
Given that the article has photos of the writer and his children with the Sami, I think he might have travelled there and interviewed people.

Bumbler's info is very interesting. How much of the overgrazing is due to the grazing areas being restricted or reduced?

The problem is not the reduction in grazing areas, it more the numbers of reindeers. The introduction of skidoos and quad bikes have given the opportunity to increase the size of the herd. What used to be balanced is now industrialised.
And not a single family who owns reindeers are willing to reduce its flock size.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The comments are very amusing. Im afraid the Saami get very whitewashed these days, thus wiping out their impressive war record.

I think all races have a dark period, us Brits being one of the worst. Paraphrasing here "you don't make an Empire and friends at the same time"

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Anyone got a comment on the rainforest link? I don't know about this tribe but I believe I read about the tribe with the big lips that Western pop singer Sting was linked with on that famous campaign. There was something dodgy about them, not as black and white as the campaign at the time made out. Wish I could find the article / programme details I read / saw it in. not to say this tribe isn't totally different kettle of fish. I just think that no story is as cut and dried as news and media and campaigning groups make out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE