Sami poncho on Bruce Parry's Arctic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Any patterns out there?
I fancy a nice felted wool one would be a cracking bit of kit!

Going by the picture in Fjallraven's site;

luhkka-cape.png

the pattern posted by Toddy for Cloak no.1

IMG_8206.jpg
in this thread

might come close.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thats about 265 Euro. Are they sick? Or maybe it will be the next big thing for the fashion conscious outdoor lemming.

They are Fjällräven. They don't have to have sane prices.

My Forester trousers were my last attempt at their kit, and I'm not happy. Probably won't buy any more of their kit. Shoddy, expensive and over-enginered. Used to be good stuff, though.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Here is a picture of a traditional version...
S%25C3%25A1mi%2520luhkka.jpg

This shot was taken from the Norwegian movie 'Kautokeino-opprøret' (The Kautokeino Rebellion) which is worth a look if you have even a passing interest in Sámi craft and culture.

It is probably a very practical garment for people who live and work in the snow and who need ready access to the gear and equipment that hangs from their belts.

:)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Here is a picture of a traditional version...
i_fornt_974335a.jpg

This shot was taken from the Norwegian movie 'Kautokeino-opprøret' (The Kautokeino Rebellion) which is worth a look if you have even a passing interest in Sámi craft and culture.

It is probably a very practical garment for people who live and work in the snow and who need ready access to the gear and equipment that hangs from their belts.

:)

You would not have a shot of the back of the garment would you?
I think I could figure out a pattern if I could see that....:)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Now its starting to make a lot more sense. I can see the practicality of a short, snow & rain shedding cape to be worn over your normal outer layers. However the offering form Fjellraven looks to be a fitted poncho that would entirely "not" work!

Thanks

Ogri the trog

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Now its starting to make a lot more sense. I can see the practicality of a short, snow & rain shedding cape to be worn over your normal outer layers. However the offering form Fjellraven looks to be a fitted poncho that would entirely "not" work!

Thanks

Ogri the trog

Yes, I was thinking of using a waxed cotton shell over a wool base to give it a bit of weight.

With most wool or canvas kit, if you can stop it soaking in over the shoulders, the material resists water well enough otherwise.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Yes, I was thinking of using a waxed cotton shell over a wool base to give it a bit of weight.

With most wool or canvas kit, if you can stop it soaking in over the shoulders, the material resists water well enough otherwise.

I wonder if a "yoke" in waxed cotton would work? The upper parts of the hood-side pieces, and a plain good vadmal for the rest (not full weight blanket material, that would be too heavy). Or a tweed?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
'fraid I cant get these to work for me....

Ah! the direct link has also stopped working for me but the video still loads and plays on this page (the video may take a while to load up)...

link.

Maybe you do not have the appropriate plugin or something. Still you probably have enough material to work from now. :)

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Received mine from 'The Sporting Lodge' last week quite impressed with it so far, just need to light the camp fire now.
No association with the sporting lodge, just a happy customer.

Cheers for the heads up, I've been waiting for these

A bit pricier than I was expecting but I'm still interested

Any chance of a review or some close up piccies at some point?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE