Sami poncho on Bruce Parry's Arctic

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Just watched BP in Norway on the beeb and was well taken with the Sami poncho thing he was wearing to herd reindeer. Anyone know where there might be a pattern? - I've got a couple of blankets lying around looking for a project.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Considering the (lack of) quality I've seen from Fjällräven lately I'll pass on their version. The luhkka looks similar to medieval style garments, I might make a version in vadmal, or vadmal with a poplin shell. Closer to the original specs, though.

Might work well as static hunting garment

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I might make a version in vadmal, or vadmal with a poplin shell. Closer to the original specs, though.

Might work well as static hunting garment

Is vadmal only available in Scandinavia? I've never seen it over here.

I was thinking of it as a wildlife watching in winter sort of a garment as I doubt you could carry a rucksack with it on.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
That'll bring em bang up to date, They'll look much better in the helicopters wearing the fjallraven version.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Reminds me a bit of my combination of poncho and quilted liner.
In a cold and dry environment the pictured one should be a good piece of kit.
I am always amazed at both the practical and near perfect design of clothing indigenous people of the northern hemisphere developed in the course of time and the way modern world ignores it for fashion reasons most fo the time.
Like what I hear from salesmen and customers alike:
"if the jacket is short and tight fitting, its warmer"
"I need a warm and waterproof jacket for dog-sledging in Sweden, it will be minus 20 Celsius"

Wayland, you mean something like this?:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/Supercorsa/Misc/29092010002.jpg

Last edited:

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
im not the only one eh! i was sitting watching that and LOVED the cape thing. kinda reminded me of working in peru actually with all the colours like that. would def go to scandi just to pick one of those up. just epic!

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
in peru we used to wear ponchos all the time, just didnt have a hood, they were the best clothing ive ever worn!

Last edited:

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
I like that a lot, wonder if they will do big boy sizes :confused:

Bit steep on the price thou, don't know if i like myself enough to cough up that much lol

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
So it's like all the warmth of a big winter coat but with the mother of all gaping flappy holes in the bottom... somehow I don't see me investing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE