Sami knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScanDgrind

Banned
Mar 18, 2004
Cornwall
That's a lovely little knife, really interesting, and one of the coolest presents I've ever heard of anyone bringing back from a holiday.

Cheers,

Tony

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
ScanDgrind.
Cheers but my old man was'nt on holiday he works abroad most of the time,he is a musician but most people say his lifestyle is a holiday :D .Its great him going to North of the artic cicrle as he has brought back a few things for me that i have asked for. i.e My GB axe,a knife,my Kuksa and now the butter knife.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thats a realy nice piece of work I bet it feels real nice in the hand.:) do you know what its carved from the photos a bit fuzzy to even take a guess? How long is it can't tell the scale from the photo either?:eek:

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
jdlenton said:
Thats a realy nice piece of work I bet it feels real nice in the hand.:) do you know what its carved from the photos a bit fuzzy to even take a guess? How long is it can't tell the scale from the photo either?:eek:

Sorry for the delay but i've been away working.I'm not sure about what wood it's carved from,it is very light in weight and it has very little smell about it.
The dimensions are 17.5cm total length,3cm wide,the blade length is 9cm.The handle breadth is1.5cm.

I hope this helps.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
Thaks StuartHad a go at carving my own the otherday but stupidly picked a wood that had a small soft core so when i went thin on the blade it stuffed the hole project up :eek:

i'll see how it compares to your dimensions and have a go at anohter one i'll post the pictures so you can have a look but it wont be the same as having a authentic one :)

James

T

toxopholist

Hi. It looks like birch, which makes sense bearing in mind where it came from. You'd need to split a branch into quarters lengthways and then use one of the pieces. This way it won't crack when it dries and for wood with a core you avoid the pithy bit.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
It would have been birch; that is, if it were made for Sami use. They make a fortune from selling their crafts to tourists or to the Norwegians/Swedes to sell to tourists. One old man I spoke to said that if he ever carved something and it didn't come out well, he'd sell it on! This obviously doesn't apply to most of the knives however and some are pretty stunning pieces of workmanship.

T

toxopholist

Hi, do you have a picture of the knife viewed from above? I'm having a go at carving one and I'd like to know how thick the blade is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE