Sami crafts - traditional Sámi shuttle

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Stuart f's thread and pictures about his netting needle recieved quite a few views, so I thought folks might be interested in this traditional Sámi shuttle (actually its the shape that is traditional, the shuttle is made of plastic).

gehpa.by.stoorstalka.shop-228x228.jpg

Gehpa by STOORSTÅLKA

An interesting shape and in this video you can see the sort of work it would be used for.

[video=youtube;7GbJHJUOGAM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GbJHJUOGAM&feature=pl ayer_embedded[/video]

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the link :D

The hooked tip to the shuttle helps with the pick up of the floating warps; when the weaver is practiced at the art she/he can use it to pick up as it carries the weft through the shed.
The lady in the video explains the shed space and warp pick up but she's doing it with her fingers, not using the shuttle.

Interesting to see. The South American's weave their braids using multiple shed space sticks and cords instead of the heddle, but the designs can be very similar :D

It's fascinating the assorted ways that braids are created world wide :D from the finger woven tump line to the inkle looms.

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...It's fascinating the assorted ways that braids are created world wide :D from the finger woven tump line to the inkle looms..."

I like 'inkle looms'. :)

It would be nice to find some pics of the original bone or antler shuttles, my google-fu brings up nothing.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like inkle looms too :D they make picking up and doing a bit and then putting it down to attend to something, easy :D

Did Wayland not have a photo of a curved tip shuttle in one of his Scandianvian crafts threads ?

Maybe he'll see this one and comment :)

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh beautiful work :notworthy: and I'm sure they're brilliant tools to use :D

I have spare inkle looms, happy to help warp up and show how :D
I also have a leather hole/slot heddle that Eric Methven made......would the original Sami ones have been made of bone or wood ? I think the extra floating warps line of holes might not be so sound on leather; just too many flexes ? maybe ? :dunno:

atb,
M......and I'll put the kettle on when you have time :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's it :D
Beautiful bone work, and the weaving's good too :D

In the video the lady uses the heddle as a beater......you don't do that with bone if you can avoid it, because all the little slots and holes are potentially weakpoints and might break, but that slightly wedged shaped edge to the curved shuttle, that can be used to beat the weft neat and tight into the shed of the warps :D
On this heddle the floating warps (red and navy) are sitting 'above' the heddle, not through it.
The modern heddle demonstrated in the video had another line of holes above the slot/hole/slot/hole arrangement in the plastic heddle.

Can I copy your photo please Gary ? It's just for my own records and I'll put your name and copyright on it.

atb,
Mary

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That's it :D
Beautiful bone work, and the weaving's good too :D

In the video the lady uses the heddle as a beater......you don't do that with bone if you can avoid it, because all the little slots and holes are potentially weakpoints and might break, but that slightly wedged shaped edge to the curved shuttle, that can be used to beat the weft neat and tight into the shed of the warps :D
On this heddle the floating warps (red and navy) are sitting 'above' the heddle, not through it.
The modern heddle demonstrated in the video had another line of holes above the slot/hole/slot/hole arrangement in the plastic heddle.

Can I copy your photo please Gary ? It's just for my own records and I'll put your name and copyright on it.

atb,
Mary

No problem, I've got a bigger copy somewhere as well if you need it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you :D

You don't have any showing how the warp bundle was chained or tied off, do you ? or how the weaving was begun at the end of the warps ?

atb,
Mary

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE