salt water on carbon steel oups

C

captain-caveman

went kayak fishing yesterday and picked up wrong knife and now the blade has turned black and rusty.

how can i clean it up,it wasnt a expensive knife but still.

cheers
Daz

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
presonally i would just give it a rub over with your pot scourer, dry properlt and give a coat of oil, just make sure the handle is dry where it meets the blade, nothing to worry about, black is patteena, just stop it going rusty,

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
If it really bothers you then a good rub with Autosol metal polish or similar will do the trick. Had a Mora go the same way and the polish brought it back a treat. These days I rarely bother, as Southey says just keep the rust at bay.

C

captain-caveman

thanks all.....shame realy as it makes a nice sized fillet knife while out and about

Daz

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
No reason not to continue to use it fishing dude, just oil it before you go and when you get back, it will develop a patina that will protect it as long as you clean and dry it when you get back,

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Gonna git myself some Ballistol oil soon, it looks pretty good from the reviews, I think a few chaps here use it, in the past all i did was to clean and dry the blade when using a carbo mora while fishing, it just develops that grey patina over time which helps to protect the blade,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE