SAK Vs Leatherman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Which do you prefer?

• SAK

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Leathermans

Votes: 55 44.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 9, 2011
Larne
Ill have to vote for the Leatherman. I broke my Sideclip after 10years and they replaced it FOC with a new Kick plus sent a sideclip adapter along with it too. Plus ive got the Fuse which is great! Main advantage for me are the wirecutters that i mainly use for cutting horses free from wire fences!!

swissgearlabs

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2011
Switzerland
www.youtube.com
SwissTool: in my opinion the best quality multitool. my 14 years old SwissTool (bought in 1997 +/- when it came out) still works with the same precision as in the beginning. one minus though: there is no kork-screw (one does not live off nettles only...)

i also own SAKs, but use them differently compared to the SwissTool

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
SAK fan here....I just can't warm up to the Leatherman type tools; they seem too much like tools, while a SAK is more "knifey"

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
leatherman for years, just lost my treasured charge ti

searched everyday for the past 10 days to no avail, even the kids have been turning inside and out upside down

swmbo has just bought me a replacement charge tti so all will soon be good, gotta love her :) (and i get an upgrade to boot)

i EDC it, and every day use it, woods, work, street, home...... i really do abuse it too, not that its that easy to abuse, its used to lever, hammer and scrape things as well as its designed uses

and yes, the pliers make an excellent pot lifter :p

the poll might be a tad flawed though, a SAK camper cant be compared to a leatherman charge, different beasts altogether imo

Last edited by a moderator:

beerngrills70

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2011
Newcastle upon tyne
I have the leatherman wave model . Ive had it for 6 years now and has never let me down. I don't trust multi tools that have a riveted main body.
But the swiss tool looks strong! But not my thing :)

Timbo

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2010
Usually edc a SAK Soldier in my pocket and a Leatherman Wave in my bag, sak does nearly everything the wave does but the big advantage with the wave are the pliers/wire cutters.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
ALways loved my Xti for homestead use (big fan of SAKs too). Have just bought a Leatherman Juice CS4 for "city" carry though and that might just be the ideal compromise - EDC legal, scissors, saw, knife and pliers. Pricey though compared to a SAK

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got a few Leatherman Wave 2's (because I lost one so now I've got a spare). They were bought in the US where they're much cheaper. I also bought the screwdriver bit set but rarely use it

It's a handy tool to keep on my belt when in one of my "play" cars

On dog walks I carry a locking Victorinox Hunter in a pocket. I sometimes have the Mora with me too but never on my belt - either in an inside Barbour pocket or a pack

I've got several Victorinox SAKs but my first was a Wenger which had much better scissors

Last edited:

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
I've got three s.a.k's .....the first one i bought was, i think, an early spartan, pre tooth pick and tweezer days. I then got the newer version from off here via the gift it on thread and then decided to treat myself to the champ with the leather case......lots of great tools ( alot of which i don't suppose i'll ever use, but they are there just in case). What made me choose the champ was mainly the magnifying glass as i have pretty poor eyesight these days and it's always there to help me read a map, and i suppose if we ever have any sun, light a fire.

Fjällräven

Jul 29, 2011
Denmark
I tend to go for the SAK, I have two. One with lock and one without.
I also have a Leatherman fuse and kick (the kick is legal as an EDC in Denmark)

I like the blade shape of the SAK much better than the Leatherman.

Jun 7, 2010
Canada
Mts is heavy and voluminous. Not funny wearing 1/2 pound on my belt.
Useful if mechanical equipments are used on the trail.

A sak is featherweight and the locking blade version have a better cutting power than a MT blade.

Sak forester plus vicegrip pliers from the toolbox will replace the mt for half the $

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE