SAK Pouch - singteck's way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Here's a record of how I make such a pouch. Hope you would give it a try.

pouch01.jpg

First, cut the 2 sides out from 4mm leather. Shape the side to fit the SAK. I would say the width of the SAK plus 1.5-2mm. The smaller piece is the divider and it's about 2/3 the height of the sides and about 1mm less in width.

Cut a groove for the stitches about 1/4 the thickness of the leather about 5mm from the edge. Mark the stitches with a pricking iron or ruler and pen. Do not use an over stitch wheel. I am using a no. 9 pricking iron but I use only the alternate mark, which makes it about 4.5

***** the stitch hole with a round awl.

Cut a strip of leather to the width of the pouch required (this one is 60mm). Wrap it around the side piece as shown and mark the length required. Cut to length.

pouch02.jpg

Mark the first stitch hole (at the top of side) as shown. Make sure you wrap the leather around the side tight. Do it on both side and make sure the both holes are level.

Mark the stitches.

Mark a line away from the edge of the leather for the divider. Use the SAK to check the width but make sure you take into account the thickness of the leather. Mark the first stitch hole and then use a pricking iron for the rest. ***** the holes with a saddler's awl.

Mark and cut out the holes for the press stud(s) and dye the leather. When dry, burnish the edge and fit the press stud.

pouch03.jpg

Start by stitching the divider in first and then the belt loop. Then the sides.

The photos shows the final roll of stitches. Note the thread around the needle. This is to knot the stitch.

The final product.....

SAKPouch.jpg

Thank you for looking.

singteck

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I love these "how to" threads of yours mate! Beautiful work and really informative!
We should assemble all of these into a sticky thread at some point!

Thanks Singteck....more please!

Red

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thanks for that Singteck....Hopefully one day when the group buy leather turns up, I will have a go at a sheaf. Will show, when done....

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Thanks for that Singteck....Hopefully one day when the group buy leather turns up, I will have a go at a sheaf. Will show, when done....

Just what I'm going to do with mine! A sheath for my Clipper and a pouch for my SAK.

Thanks Singteck :You_Rock_

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Hi Singteck - It is very beautiful... Arrived today... I am now playing at what other things to put in it...

Many thanks, Miggers

PS I will be in touch for a mini case for the SAK Soldier my son has...:)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I love these "how to" threads of yours mate! Beautiful work and really informative!
We should assemble all of these into a sticky thread at some point!
Red

correction! - we should assemble all these into the articles section ;)

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Great tutorial. This pouch looks very similar to mine.

Can you explain "the thread around the needle to knot the stitch" some more please?

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Thanks Guys!!! :D

Hi Singteck - It is very beautiful... Arrived today... I am now playing at what other things to put in it...

Many thanks, Miggers

PS I will be in touch for a mini case for the SAK Soldier my son has...:)

Glad you like it. Will contact you soon.

Great tutorial. This pouch looks very similar to mine.

Can you explain "the thread around the needle to knot the stitch" some more please?

Here's a fantastic tutorial with nice clear picture on that.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19963

singteck

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Singtek,
That is a great tutorial. I want to have a go but need to buy some tools!

to be dim but why did you not use a stich wheel?

That's a good question.... I was waiting for that :D

I don't use an overstitch wheel because the holes wouldn't line up. Depending on how you push or pull the wheel, the spacing will be slightly different. You can try to make a few lines of 10 holes with the wheel and measure the length. They varies.

singteck

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
Hi Singtech

I'm so impressed with your products and know-how. Do you run any courses? I'd be really interested, as I'm sure would many others.

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
Hi Singtech

I'm so impressed with your products and know-how. Do you run any courses? I'd be really interested, as I'm sure would many others.

Thank you rickety!!

I don't run any courses..... don't think I qualify to run them :D but I can give you some pointers if you can come over..... after I come back from summer holiday ;)

singteck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE