Safety Rules When Working with Cutting Tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

What safety rules do you all recommend? Please discuss them. I read this article on Outdoors-Magazine on working with big blades. I have copied this text:
Other people must be outside the reach of your tool when the arm is extended, in front, on the side and behind you. Be aware of their position, they may come closer to see what the hell you are doing with this HUGE blade. Warn them not to approach.
Cut away from you , this also mean extending the arms, if needed.
Take the time to learn the blade first using moderate blows.
Do not rush, do not run with an unsheathed big blade, axe or hatchet, think your movements carefully. Be stable on your feet, or put the blade back in the sheath if not.
When carrying, remember to keep it straight in the sheath, or put a friction pad. Sliding blades are a danger to you and others.
Do not handle the bare blade to someone else, sheathe the blade first, handle the whole lot.
Avoid if possible full force blows, let gravity work for you. This is not always possible, but avoids glances and tiredness. Keep blade well sharpened.
Try to make the trajectory of the blade as straight as possible.
Avoid the edge entering the material at an angle different from the angle of the blow. This avoids glances.
When tired, stop, breathe, rest. Most accidents happen when tired. Recently a friend cut his knee (just 2 stitches, he was lucky), because he was tired, and did not control the blade well enough anymore.
Observe, think and choose. Carefully select the place where you intend to work, clear it, check the possible dangers of the work you want to do (inspect the tree’s high branches, etc).
Protect yourself. Gloves, glasses, steel toes shoes, thick pants are not that stupid. Kevlar gloves and pants exist for gardeners and workers, and are not that expensive. If you are not protected, act accordingly, being much more careful and less precipitated.
Loose or cracked handles must be repared prior to use.

I think these tips are great and different for what I've seen in books. The tips in RM Essential Bushcraft is also great and different. :biggthump
When I got my first real knife, I rushed in to the 'bush', to try it out and quick this resulted in a cut. :roll: :lol:

Cheers

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Rule #16: Do not hammer a blade into a tree and jump up and down upon it until it breaks - no matter how free the knife was in the first place - unless you can CONCLUSIVELY PROVE that you were emulating either other BCUKers or Mors Kochanski...

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Womble said:
Rule #16: Do not hammer a blade into a tree and jump up and down upon it until it breaks - no matter how free the knife was in the first place - unless you can CONCLUSIVELY PROVE that you were emulating either other BCUKers or Mors Kochanski...
Ha - ha - ha... :rolmao: :lol: My knife, my rules.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE