Safety pins

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having a hour to kill I had a go at shaping some wire into large safety pins, mainly to get some experiance in shaping and bending hot steel.

I've not cleaned them up as it turns out the wire is the mildest of steel and won't take the spring back when I tried to harden them but they were good practice for when I can get some piano wire of the right gauge.

i just used a basic blow torch on one of those rubber stands, a couple of tommy bars held in a vice, the small anvil on the vice and a small ball pein hammer. To protect my hands I wore some Kevlar gloves.

image_zpsc6dfc440.jpg

The large ones 2.5 inches long. The only thing I've made this way before is a penanular broach for the middle sons Saxon kit. Made that from a odd knitting needle bought in a job lot by herself.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You really need to do tutorials on this stuff my friend - I'm fascinated and want to know more :)

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Im always happy to see tutorials.
I love watching people make things.
Get the camera out........

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sure, will do some pics when I get some decent steel with more spring in it. The mild stuff I used has a bit of life in it after I'd hardened it again, but not enough really.

Pins like these have been around since the Bronze Age and although modern, commercial, ones work much better they are often not wide enough to go through several layers of blanketing. They are so simple to do you could make them in the field from scavenged materials if you wanted to faff about!

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE