Safety: Fuel for MSR Whisperlight?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
My names Axel and I work for Anglo American Oil Company where we distribute and market the Aspen products in the UK. ... we try to keep our dealer list as up to date as we can but if you find that you have trouble getting the products from any of our listed dealers then please drop me a message so I can check what the problem is.

Over a period of several months in 2009-2010 I tried to buy some Aspen 4T. I even went to a couple of places in France. NONE of the suppliers I spoke to admitted to stocking it. Whether the people I spoke to were correct, or whether they were simply uninformed shop assistants I cannot say. But the end result was that I gave up and used a different product. In August 2009 I wrote to someone called Tony at AA Oil, listing a surprisingly large number of errors on your Website at this location:

http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-Stockists

I've just looked at the page again, and only one of the errors has been corrected. The dealer in Nottingham (RJ Holland of Outdoor Power Tools) who gave me the runaround for months is still on the list.

Can I suggest that firstly you go through your entire list of suppliers checking that the details are correct, and secondly that you call each alleged supplier posing as a customer and ask them for prices on the products they allegedly stock? You might find it illuminating.

Someone mentioned they couldn't get hold off aspen from Broadfield mowers...

That's not how I read the message. I just called them, and the very helpful lady on the switchboard physically checked that they have stock. Watch this space. :)

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
A place called Broadfield Mowers in Sheffield. According to the Aspen website, a garden centre just down the road from me is supposed to sell it, but they've never stocked it!

Someone mentioned they couldn't get hold off aspen from Broadfield mowers, i know for a fact that they stock our products as only last week they placed a new order, so whoever you spoke to on the phone obviously doesn't know their shop very well.

Hi Axel. I think it might be my post you are referring to. To clarify, I posted that I get my fuel from Broadfield Mowers in Sheffield. They stock Aspen and I've had great service from them.
A garden centre closer to me (Fosters garden centre, Thrybergh) is listed on your website as selling Aspen products but doesn't.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I would think we got through maybe 15 litres of petrol before the lantern packed up, that was in 2007, fitted a new generator and its been problem free running on panel wipe since. I don't know any stove collectors who would use petrol on a regular basis because of problems with their stoves/lamps, plus the smell and the fumes, its effects are well known by those using Coleman gear on a regular basis. I have seven or eight Coleman stoves and I think four lanterns and the only issues I've had was using petrol.

Use what you want, its your kit.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'd only use road petrol in a stove or lantern if there was absolutely nothing else available. Generally I use panel wipe or Aspen. A good, readily available stopgap is a can of lighter fuel from a supermarket. It's nearly a tankful for the stoves I use.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Theres different types of panel wipe by the way,. slow panel wipe isn't too good in my Optimus 123R and fast panel wipe is much better.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Quite right sir, I only link to a brand I have tried or know other stovies have, might be an idea to put up a sticky thread on this (mods ?). Coleman fuel has halved in price in the UK, you can get it for £5-£6 a litre now; still works out cheaper for cooking than using gas cans even at £6 a litre.

I'm happy with panel wipe or 4T but it a heck of a journey for me to pick up 4T :( I hope they try to get into a major chain of stores again like Blacks.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... the very helpful lady on the switchboard [at Broadfield Mowers] physically checked that they have stock. Watch this space. :)

Nipped for a blast on the FJR to Sheffield this afternoon, and I now have more stock of Aspen 4 than apparently most of the stockists. :)

Incidentally they seem to have dropped the 'T' and it's now called 'Aspen 4' not 'Aspen 4T'. At least that's what it says on the packs that I bought and the Website seems to agree.

I'm happy with panel wipe or 4T but it a heck of a journey for me to pick up 4T :( I hope they try to get into a major chain of stores again like Blacks.

In the absence of a major chain, you can buy it from me by the litre at the price I paid if you like. Just need to arrange getting it from place to place without paying for carriage. Meets?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nipped for a blast on the FJR to Sheffield this afternoon, and I now have more stock of Aspen 4 than apparently most of the stockists. :)

Incidentally they seem to have dropped the 'T' and it's now called 'Aspen 4' not 'Aspen 4T'. At least that's what it says on the packs that I bought and the Website seems to agree.

In the absence of a major chain, you can buy it from me by the litre at the price I paid if you like. Just need to arrange getting it from place to place without paying for carriage. Meets?

A very kind offer Ged, I'm camping once a month in South Wales (subject to my lungs working OK) should you fancy a trip this way. If you fish bring a rod the trout are abundant.

Axel@Aspen

Jul 11, 2011
Dorset
www.aaoil.co.uk

Yes they have dropped the T in the name to make it more correct across all languages. the T came from the swedish word "Takt" meaning "stroke" ie Aspen 2Takt and Aspen 4Takt or in english. Aspen 2stroke and Aspen4stroke.

i will do my best to call through our dealers to rectify any problems but if you know of any errors then it would be a lot quicker if you could drop me a pm.

thanks
Axel

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Yes they have dropped the T in the name to make it more correct across all languages. the T came from the swedish word "Takt" meaning "stroke" ie Aspen 2Takt and Aspen 4Takt or in english. Aspen 2stroke and Aspen4stroke.

i will do my best to call through our dealers to rectify any problems but if you know of any errors then it would be a lot quicker if you could drop me a pm.

thanks
Axel

Get some stockists in South Wales please Axel :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE