SADF Webbing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Pattern60withGroundSheet.jpg

Got two of these this week:D

What's your thoughts as a bushcraft kit? Having used them in the Army they are quite comfortable and durable for a light weight carry system. Got the 2 coz I want both ponchos and the side pouches. Will be getting rid of the one harness (belt, harness and kidney pouches)

Last edited:

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
b983685cd60dec6a40918195c42d96da.jpg

This is a SADF battle vest

451c582d2ae81a996a9923893d1b2470.jpg

Here with the Wynnchester bedroll strapped to the back, it larger as there is a wool blanket inside

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I like the look of the M83 battle vest I thought it may be handy to keep various thing in permanently that I find useful during short walks, i.e. small tarp, water proofs, bottle of water, blanket, binoculars, gloves, hat, extra jumper, maybe a hammock etc..

rickyamos a couple of questions :- How long have you had your one [where did you get it from?] and what do you us your one for?

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I like the look of the M83 battle vest I thought it may be handy to keep various thing in permanently that I find useful during short walks, i.e. small tarp, water proofs, bottle of water, blanket, binoculars, gloves, hat, extra jumper, maybe a hammock etc..

rickyamos a couple of questions :- How long have you had your one [where did you get it from?] and what do you us your one for?

Hi mouse

Had only about three weeks, I got it off ebay, but they are like rocking horse poo to get originals and expensive at around £65. You can get cheaper knock offs from airsoft websites, but I don't think the build quality is the same.

Got the idea from the wynnchester website:-

https://www.wynnchester.co.uk/sadf-battle-vest-wynnchester-canvas-bedroll/

So thought I'd get one and give it a go, I will put up more pics once I have packet it out and tried it on an overnight camp.

There is no room for a sleeping bag and I only have a 100% wool military blanket rapped up in the bedroll, so may have to wait to try this setup once it's a bit warmer. Although the bedroll is plenty warm with a snugpak sleeping bag.

I hope this helps

Thanks

Rick

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
I had an original m83 assault vest same as above, excellent kit which all assault vest of today can trace their design influences back to. Would say though as for camping I don't see the benefits. Its a piece of kit that was designed for a specific task and as such the pouches are very specific sizes. Apart from the water bottle pouches I would say it is of limited use imho. The south african 2 litre square canteens fit in each. If you take a a galil and spare mags and several grenades camping I should imagine its perfect. I use a RIBZ vest (good for maps, odds and ends like gloves torches trail food etc) and maybe a belt pouch and rucksack. Anyway back on track, there was a chest rig the same style as that vest, and also another vest that was I think for the radio man, it had the back pouches without lids or zips, and different configuration of pouches, good for lamping as the battery pack could go in the back with the wire sticking out the top for thelamp.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
I had an original m83 assault vest same as above, excellent kit which all assault vest of today can trace their design influences back to. Would say though as for camping I don't see the benefits. Its a piece of kit that was designed for a specific task and as such the pouches are very specific sizes. Apart from the water bottle pouches I would say it is of limited use imho. The south african 2 litre square canteens fit in each. If you take a a galil and spare mags and several grenades camping I should imagine its perfect. I use a RIBZ vest (good for maps, odds and ends like gloves torches trail food etc) and maybe a belt pouch and rucksack. Anyway back on track, there was a chest rig the same style as that vest, and also another vest that was I think for the radio man, it had the back pouches without lids or zips, and different configuration of pouches, good for lamping as the battery pack could go in the back with the wire sticking out the top for thelamp.

I also have the ribz and like it very much although in summer find it can get a bit sweaty, and don't over fill the pockets or its like wearing a life vest. I got the SADF best just for overnighters so hoping I don't need much kit to stuff away

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
indeed - must have been a bugger to put on - I've tried a set of pattern 37 stuff before and it was a nightmare getting it right - once it was on properly it was great - until it got wet...

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Deffo looks hard to adjust right, looks like something out of a soho dungeon! 37 patt is very hard when new, once its had a lot of use its much better, the buckles on the top of the ammo pouches are very painful if the get you a soft spot! The south africans reuse and re-issue a lot of their kit as I understand it so the durability of the above would have been so important, dealing with rough use in a rough landscape. Cant say I'd fancy breaking it in tho.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE