Sabre 45 really that good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
It seems that the Sabre 45 gets praise all over this site, however when looking for reviews on the net I came across this one:

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34862

Reckons if you're 6ft or over then it might not be the one to go for. I'm not trying to say go for the other pack on review as it's mega expensive, but sounds like you won't get much belt support from the sack if you're 6ft (like me!). I'd been put off getting the Snugpak Rocket pak as it would sit too high and give no hip support, maybe the Sabre is the same?

Any thoughts?

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You don't get much belt support from the Sabre even if you're under 6ft - it's a short-backed pack designed to sit above combat webbing. The belt is only really there to stop it going over your head if you bend over. But it's only 45L, so unless you're filling it with beer, it's not likely to be that heavy.

Me, I'm a little under 6ft, I wear my Sabre a little lower than I think it's designed for, and I've replaced the belt with a PLCE belt with the hip pad. It's not the most comfortable pack in the world, but it's sturdy, practical and cheap. Probably not what I'd choose for an extended trekking holiday though...

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Timinwales is freakishly tall as well;) and he uses a Sabre 45 and a Lowe pack. Ca'nt remember which model, might be an idea to drop him a PM as he's very experienced in expedition / hill walking and has carried loads all over the place, that's why we call him Donkey (not to his face!) Plus, he'd enjoy getting a PM as he does'nt get out much!:D

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
You can always use a bigger pack and use compression straps to reduce its size. Personally i like having some extra capacity to call on if needed, for carrying extra food or water, or a bulkier winter sleeping bag. Plus being tall, i get the right backlength whereas most sub 50l packs seem to come in the 'one size fits all' which isnt a problem if its light and loose, but aint so comfy when its heavy and stuffed

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
Thansk for the replies guys. I've been trying to find a pack that will allow me to use it for a multitude of tasks and the Sabre really seemed to fit the bill when using or discarding the side pockets. I'd been using a borrowed 70l Vango sack when staying out overnight with my son, but it's far too big for day walks out etc. As I go overnight with my son my bag tends to be heavier than his so need somethign with a decent belt. I had considered a Berghaus Arete Tour (45 + 8) but it's also a non-adjustable back system.

Does the perfect bag exist!?!?!!!? :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It`s only a pack at the end of the day and there`s plenty of choice out there for you to be able to make your own mind up. It`s only so popular amongst us folk because of a certain chappy on the telly. There`s loads of recommendations for day sacks on here so have a read through and see what you can find.

I`ve got an Airjet 45l pack for one nighters, it`s well built got plenty of storage options and costs half as much as a Sabre.

Rich

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I like the 45, but it is quite short.

I almost never put the side pockets on it anymore - it's not that great for carrying heavy loads.

If I need that much space then I take the 75, which is much more comfortable.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I've always found the lack of side pockets annoying on Alpine bags. Sure, great if you're actually climbing, but less useful for regular camping / backpacking type activities. I usually end up attaching an empty side pocket to my '45 after I've "packed" it, to slip in all the little things I forgot to pack in the main compartment. Maybe that's just me though...

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I'm 6,3 and have no problems with the Sabre. Length can be deceptive because it's the length of the back that is critical in this matter.

One problem I had was the flimsy construction of the inner 'frame', basically just a piece of foam with some steel wire in it. As a modification I made an H frame out of alu strips (3 cm wide), bent these to fit my back and shoulders and finally attached it to the foam frame using duct tape. Personally I think it's much more comfortable this way and I can actualy transfer some load to the (upper part of the) hips.

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I've always found the lack of side pockets annoying on Alpine bags

I think that simplicity is a large part of what i loved about it. but i guess wes all different and all like different things :)

to reply to bigmul, the alpiniste im talking about is long since discontinued, so i honestly dont know about the current models. Youll have heard it a million times before but i think you gotta try them on in the shop, or try on a mates rucksack, with a bit of weight in it. and pretty much ignore the advice of others, cos a bad fitting rucksack is akin to bad fitting shoes and will lead to equal misery.

the problem that arrises then is when the shop only seems to stock the garish red, blue (and karrimor purple) ones.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I've always found the lack of side pockets annoying on Alpine bags. Sure, great if you're actually climbing, but less useful for regular camping / backpacking type activities. I usually end up attaching an empty side pocket to my '45 after I've "packed" it, to slip in all the little things I forgot to pack in the main compartment. Maybe that's just me though...

I find the single big space so much easier to use, it makes you think about your packing more, so you do not end up doubling up, and just carrying crap.

I also keep putting off buying the rocket but think I am going to give in soon.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
This is what I said last time........

I got the right hump with my Sabre 45. I’m 6’1” tall and it doesn’t fit me, no matter how you adjust it. When you attach the pockets they stick out miles and tend to flop about, the compression straps won’t even reach around the pockets to stop this. You bounce along like Terry Scott in carry on camping.:cussing:
It’s not big enough for a decent trip and too big for a day use. The pocket straps are about 3 meters long for some unexplained reason and are always flapping in the wind.:dunno:

The back padding makes you sweat like a horse in the derby, and there’s quite literally tonnes of it not doing a dam thing.:aargh4:
If you want a Sabre 45 I’ll sell you mine for a small fee, it’s nearly new. If your 5’10” or smaller then you’ll be alright.
I don’t know about the Snugpak, but I suspect it can’t be any worse.......or maybe it can.
I’ve got a worn out Berghaus ROC bought in 1986. It has the same back construction the Crusader but is 60-80L. It is a bombproof brilliant pack. If the puppy hadn’t of chewed the waste strap off, nearly terminating his young life, I would never have bought the Sabre.
I have a Fjallraven Vintage 30l pack for day excursions bought last year. It’s a little small on volume, but that’s how a pack should be made! :notworthy (Seems funny that backpack perfection was achieved in the 1950’s, but it was, the only significant improvement since then was the use of heavy nylon fabric over canvas.) The frame is stable and properly flexi able (External spring steel), the back is properly ventilated (Air mesh), the waist belt has no useless unnecessary padding and the shoulder straps have the right amount (i.e. not too much). If only we could get them to do a 60L version I would bite their arm off. Seriously, if you get the chance to study one, do so, it will be like an epiphany.
Internal frame packs suck for most activities. They are good for mountaineering as they tend to be thin and have nothing to get caught up, but for everything else there a bit of a compromise. Of course there cheaper to make, hence we have the choice of 50,000 clone internal frame packs to choose from.:banghead:
I think most packs are designed to carry customer’s money to the bank, not kit in. The technical specs read like a list of knobs & whistles a clown car would be proud of. If they were kept simple, strong and functional you’d probably not spend much money and have maybe 2-3 packs in a lifetime. Where’s the money in that?:soapbox:

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I bought a Sabre, couldn't get on with it and sold it.

I thought - everyone here loves it - I must be wrong, bought another and sold it.

I sold half of my stuff and bought a 60 litre Kifaru, waited for them to make it for my back and then paid a wedge on import tax. This is the most expensive pack in the world I feel.:eek:

http://www.kifaru.net/MG_ZXR.htm

(not in multicam I hasten to add)

That said, although it's heavy and I look like a SAS walt it is indescribably comfortable with huge weight in, I have a first aid kit in Molle which fits under the lid and a similar pouch with a brew kit. If it's day pack - plink plink and they're in that.

Daypack is a Sabre 30, best daypack I've ever come across BTW.

Now I just need to find the time to use them more......

You get what you pay for, end of story as far as my experience goes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE