Sabre 45 Back Board - Use it or lose it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I have a Sabre 45 that I am delighted with but was wondering about the benefits of the back board which I have never removed despite that obviously being an option due to the buckled compartment where it is housed.

Does it make much of a difference in terms of comfort if removed? It would certainly free up a bit more space.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I thought the idea was to bend it to your back shape and put it back, not take it out altogether.?

Mark

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Ahh so is that what I am supposed to do with it and why didn't it say that on any of the multitude of labels hangin off the bleedin thing :confused:

It looks like a bit of roll matt but I take it it has some kind of metal rodded structure built in to allow it to be moulded. Excuse my ignorance but I genuinely didn't know any of this :eek:

Edit: After a bit of digging I found this:

Back System

Coolmesh Back System with Sitmat frame. This is a sewn construction back system which provides stability and comfort whilst the pack is being worn.
The back padded area is covered in breathable mesh and lined with reticulated foam to provide ventilation of the loaded areas. A foam frame provides support to the pack. This is removable for use as a seat or an emergency splint.
The aluminium frame bars can be customised to fit the user by bending them.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I'd definitely keep it in - keeps the bag in shape and stops any awkwardly shaped items digging into your spine. It's also handy as insulation - much better to sit on than a log or the cold ground.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I'd keep it in for a 45 litre or above sack. If you bend it properly to the shape of your back (paying particular attention to the lumbar region) it will help back prevent back problems when hiking or carrying heavier kit. It also stops lumpy kit from digging into your back. The final reason for leaving it in is that it can be used as a sit mat or even an emergency splint.

Pablo.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I remember someone on here said to bend it into an 'S' shape, but I suppose whatevers the most comfotable for you.

Wink

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 4, 2004
Norfolk
Once you have bent it to your shape, you will notice a massive difference to the comfort of the pack. I personally wouldn't take mine out as the frame mat helps to transfer the load to the hips, so if you are carrying any significant weight you would find it sags onto the shoulders. I can carry 17kg in mine with the majority of the weight on the hipbelt. If you are only using it for a daysack, you could lose the frame mat and save a bit of weight, but it wouldn't be as comfy, and the sac is relatively light anyway.

I must say that the Sabre 45 is an extremely well thought out bit of kit, covers so many bases as a daysack (use those compression straps!), weekender and even a small expedition pack with the pouches. I'm off to Scotland for a week next week and won't be anywhere near supplies, so I've got to carry everything with me (including at least 6kg of food), and I'm now intending to take the Sabre instead of my Vulcan, it's that good!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
The only difficulty I've experienced with shaping the mat to the curvature of my back is that when walking (struggling?) uphill, you naturally curve your back. The result is that the mat, shaped to follow your lordosis (natural curvature of the spine), starts acting against you to some degree. Over the years, I've found the most comfortable curve to have on the mat is a gentle arch away from the spine. It gives you support when you're struggling uphill and some increased ventilation for those other times.

Whatever you do, don't take the mat out unless you are prepared to be really scrupulous about packing your sack - apart from anything else, it is really good at keeping the pointy things out of your kidneys.

Ultimately, experiment and find what suits you best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE