S orry - Sorry fixed :-)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I'm no computer expert but surely it cannot be that hard to sort this out.
If the admin new 'why' it was being censored then it would be easy..... It should be as simple as removing the word from the forum censor list..... but the word doesnt appear anywhere on the list :( .... so its a case of finding out why the forum is censoring it..... as its not doing it for obvious reasons through the censor code/list.

Tony.... The only thing I could suggest is to run a search on the code for the word and go through them by hand to see if anything is amiss.

Ed

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
ummm.... I just had a thought on how to narrow this down and what the problem could be.

Tony ..... Do you have a test server running with the BCUK forum code on it?

My advice would be to remove everything in the censor list and see if you still have the same problem. If the problem still persists without having a censor list then its probably nothing to do with the censor. Also do the same with the 'Replacement Variable Manager' which is found under Admin CP --> Styles & Templates --> Replacement Variable Manager .... either one could be causing this problem.

If you have tracked the problem to one of the lists then you probably have a simple syntax error. Make sure that the words (variables) are separated by a space ... and not a line feed (enter/return) as the vbulliten code for the censor lists goes a bit screwy if it encounters a line feed rather than a space.

I hope this helps ..... if not, I've not a clue without actually reading the code myself.

Ed

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ed, you're a star :You_Rock_ We've been looking for problems in the hacks that we made which is masses of code, no idea how it got associated with the style.:present:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
well done guys! :You_Rock_ - It was obviously very obscure!

........ whats next on the list then Tone?:rolleyes:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Tony said:
Ed, you're a star
No worries mate.... just because I'm not an admin here anymore doesn't mean I wont help out when you need it.... just ask ;) .... anytime.

g4ghb said:
It was obviously very obscure!
It wasnt that it was obscure, but it was not obvious.... reading through the code everything 'looked' fine .... but computers can be a bit picky in reading code and dont read it the same way as we do... for example : they can tell the difference between someone pressing the space bar a few times and someone hitting the TAB key .... but to you and me its just a gap between words..... one will work.... one will not.

:)
Ed

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
well done guys! :You_Rock_ - It was obviously very obscure!

........ whats next on the list then Tone?:rolleyes:

How's about getting the 'Go to last post' button working again? Bugged me since the new site it has. My mouse wheel is nearly worn out. Please don't advice changing the order of posts to newest first - I don't like it like that :p

Please Tone pleeeeeease? :puppy_dog

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
It wasnt that it was obscure, but it was not obvious.... reading through the code everything 'looked' fine .... but computers can be a bit picky in reading code and dont read it the same way as we do... for example : they can tell the difference between someone pressing the space bar a few times and someone hitting the TAB key .... but to you and me its just a gap between words..... one will work.... one will not.

I know what you mean mate! - I must be one of the few people that use the formatting marks in word - seems odd and confusing without them to me! :lmao:

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I suppose I can have a look at this aswell as I found it very useful .... where is it?? or has it been removed??

Ed

It's a little red square with an arrow that lives on the main forums under the 'last post' column next to the username and timestamp ;)

1000 virtual reps if you sort this on Ed.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
lol... just found it as your posted :) Please remember though that I do not have access to the admin pannel or the server/code, so if its something to do with one of the hacks/modules interfereing with the forum then there is not alot i can do.... so really I'm just making an educated guess of what 'could' be wrong..... I'll have a crack at it though

:D
Ed

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
lol... just found it as your posted :) Please remember though that I do not have access to the admin pannel or the server/code, so if its something to do with one of the hacks/modules interfereing with the forum then there is not alot i can do.... so really I'm just making an educated guess of what 'could' be wrong..... I'll have a crack at it though

Ed

I have every confidence in you Ed :)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I wish i was a propper 'puter geek then everything would be working..... I'm only a hobbyist with google at my fingertips so dont expect everything to be sorted quickly..... but I will try and help as much as I can.....

oh... and any help or ideas would be more than welcome :D .... feel free to pm me

Ed

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!

Ed

Can't Tony upgrade you to Admin/general bodger to try and work these out? Just as long as it is understood you don't want to take part in running the site with regards to naughty people!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Can't Tony upgrade you to Admin/general bodger to try and work these out? Just as long as it is understood you don't want to take part in running the site with regards to naughty people!

Thats what I was before, but in reality it doesn't work like that.

Tony and some of the mods have asked me to come back on board on more than one occasion (I still have an open offer to come back on the staff)... But.... you have to realise that the staff here get alot of flak and abuse from people.... something I am no longer willing to put up with. When I was working here I was putting in about 30 hours a week (as well as working full time teaching bushcraft 9 to 5 + the odd weekend ) and all I got was agro from various quarters of the community (not just BCUK) .... so I'd rather just help out in my spare time when I want to.... being on the staff is a hard job and I take my hat off to the admin and mods as its something I know I cannot do due to the stress it causes and the ammount of time it takes working on a site such as this......

I am more than willing to help out where I can ... but please remember I am no uber coder.... to me helping here is just part of a geeky hobby I have (I love to code..... it keeps my mind active) and alot more interesting than watching TV.

Maybe if things change in the future I may come back as staff.... but until then.....

Ed

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I'm shocked to hear that anybody would dole out aggro or grief to the staff of BcUK. Can you not be upped just to gain access to the site code and be more of a coding geek than an actual punisher of naughty people? Anyway, it seems that since you got the Sorry thing sorted, there is only the newest post in a thread to sort out and then the main problems are sorted. i get one that crops up now and then that has the site inside the site if you get my meaning! I have the Header and the list of stuff on the left, then I have it all again in the frame in the centre! Wierd, it only happens now and then!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
i get one that crops up now and then that has the site inside the site if you get my meaning!
I've managed to replicate this by clicking the 'mark forums read' at the bottom of the main forum page. It seems to be parsing the correct forum display... ie 'do=markread' .... but for some reason the 'do=markread' seems to be set to display the whole forum home page including adverts etc... and not just the forum..... thats where I'd start trying to track it down.... though if this is happening in other places it may not be that.

If anyone knows of anyother place this is happening can they let me know and I'll see if I can replicate it..... the more infomation on where this bug is happening the better when trying to track down these pesky bugs.

Ed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE