Rusty toolage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Hello I've recently came across some great spanners, an old pick axe head and a wee sythe that some fool was throwing out. Only thing is they have a fine coating of rust on them. Was wondering if anyone had some tasty methods for removing the rust. I've heard somewhere that soaking it in coke cola will remove the rust, is that a real thing. Any help would be much appreciated indeed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The coke thing is more for removing "tarnish" off of coins, medals, silver and the likes. In fact it can stain high carbon steel slightly due to it's acidic nature. Polishing with a fine abrasive and/or a gentle rust removing gel/paste would be method.

Jan 9, 2009
Perth
Ah nice one cheers mateys. Think that's where I might of heard about the coke thing before, cleaning silver cutlery or suchlike. Think my dads got a drill hidden in a see somewhere I might nab and stick a wee attachment on. Will see how I get on

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE