Runt Arrives! My latest Allan Blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Hi All

As some of you will know I was waiting for the arrival of my latest Allan Blade knife. The result is that I may be selling at leat one of my Allan Blade creations, but more of that later.

What did I get? Well it is called a Runt and is basically a scaled down version of the Bushcrafter. It still has a 4mm thick scandi ground 01 steel blade but it is only about 60mm long. It has a coffin tang and a beautiful dark wood handle with mosaic pins. I do not know what the wood is as I just asked for a dark wood and Allan said he would surprise me and I am most certainly not disappointed. The handle is about 3/4 of the size of the Bushcrafter handle.

I can hear you all shouting show us some pictures so here are some of my Allan Blade family; Bushcrafter, Pack Pal and Runt.

blade_family_1.jpg

blade_family_2.jpg

blade_family_3.jpg

As you can see, a thing of beauty and a joy to behold. As much as I love my Bushcrafter there are a couple of things I would change about it so I have decided to order from Allan a custom version with a few modifications. Here is my spec to Allan

I have always thought the Bushcrafter is a little big and although the handle was very functional it looked a little tactical for my needs. So here is my spec for the perfect bushcrafter. Blade steel, thickness, profile and grind as the current bushcrafter but the length of blade reduced to 90mm (half way between the 100mm bushcrafter and the 80mm Pack Pal). The blade grind I would like to extend right to the handle as in the Pack Pal and Runt (this will compensate slightly for the reduced length). Handle material is to be the same material as the Runt (dark wood) with Mosaic pins. Sheath is to have a firesteel holder and multi carry (like you have sent me with the runt. Belt fitting and clip than can be used vertically and horizontal).
So once I have my new knife I will probably pass on my current Bushcrafter as it deserves better than becoming a drawer queen, the Pack Pal may also not be needed but the Runt is staying with me till I die.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Im thinking Cocobolo John...:wink:

*edit* Very nice knife BTW, Allans work is truly amazing.

B

bombadil

Very nice.....looks like a really practical lttle beastie :super:
Let me be first in the queue if you sell the packpal.....I want to get one for my better half :biggthump

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very cool! Because of the gray sandblast finish, Allan's knives aren't as flashy as a lot of them but when you look at the grinds and the fantastic pinned coffin tang, they are simply amazing. I love short blades for utility and that's what I carry most of the time except for bushcraft. I'm curious as to why you feel the Runt is better for bushcraft applications than his bushcrafter?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
One other thing. One of the super things about Allan is that he is an outstanding custom maker and will accomodate you as much as he can. And not charge you megabucks to boot. His knives are underpriced imo.

MagiKelly

Hoodoo said:
I'm curious as to why you feel the Runt is better for bushcraft applications than his bushcrafter?
I don't. If you read through my post My ultimate Bushcraft model is basically a normal Bushcrafter with a 90mm blade instead of 100mm and a wooden handle so it looks less tactical. The Runt is very much a utility knife and if our laws were different it would be my daily carry. I intend to have it attached to my life jacket in the canoe and use when on short walks where a bigger knife would attract too much attention.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Desperately hoping that the wood is cocobolo 'cos I asked Allan to make my scandi packpal with this and mosaic pins. I didn't realise that it could look this good though. Obviously got the orientation of the grain just right.

I love the way the runt is made in 4mm giving that thick stumpy little blade.

Reminds me of my favorite japanese wood chisel which has a squat little blade an inch wide and only an inch long on a lovely sandalwood handle. Gives great control for detail work but is still as tough as old boots.

Great choice and great pics. :You_Rock_

B

bombadil

MagiKelly said:
At this point you would be third :yikes:

oops..... :sulk:
Excuse me for not looking properly :boot: consider me reprimanded

B

bombadil

If you don't mind me asking, what does the packpal cost including delivery to the uk (in pounds?)

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Not enough.....about £30-£40 isn't it? Should be double that based on the quality of my bushcrafter.

MagiKelly

Okay folks had some time to take some more pictures of the Runt. I have taken them with the sheath to show the multi carry option. As well as the multi carry clip you also get a normal kydex belt attachment. The clip is shown attached for horizontal carry but you can unscrew it and attach it for vertical carry, either right way up or upside down. The clip gives a very versatile option for carrying. If you drill extra holes you can have the sheath set at any angle. Having seen this I would expect that a similar clip could be made or attached to almost any kydex sheath.

runt_1.jpg

runt_2.jpg

runt_3.jpg

runt_4.jpg

runt_5.jpg

As I said the clip is very versatile. Using it I can quickly attach to and swap between my Belt, Lifejacket, Rucksack and accessory loops on my camera bags. A very handy thing indeed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE