Rugby World Cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
The RWC has kicked off...I'm currently warching the AB's playing Tonga... Awesome stuff...29-3 to the AB's...England play Los Pumas tomorrow....Happy days....

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I'm out this weekend so my task is to find a pub showing the Wales game, ko 9-30am Sunday. Might not be so easy in the Chilterns :cussing:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
If the TV schedule is anything like the warm up games and the 6 nations you are more likely to see a Welsh game there than an England one!! How annoying to only be able to watch any other northern hemisphere team play but your own (England). The Welsh can see the Wales game and the same for Ireland and Scotland. AFAIK the French and the Italians can also see their own team but English in their own country have to shell out for pay per view to see their own national side!! I personally think there should be a law that all national team sports with the following that rugby has should ever be pay per view or restricted to one type of supply. It should be available to BBC, ITV, C4 or C5 at the very least.

I'm not bitter about it. Although if they don't have the RWC on freeview channels there will be a lot of sky dishes getting trashed in my area!!

Joking of course as that will only make more money for the Murdoch trash getting them all fixed (albeit a small amount relative to what they have already gained from over priced sports and film subscriptions already).

PS I fully expect England to go out in the semi-finals or even quarters. Although it is their style to come good during the tournament I think. Did well last one despite not being on form I thought, better than expected based on pre-tournament warm-ups. ABs will win it though. SA will not be there like last time.

BTW am I correct in that the last 5 have been 2 SA, 2 Aussies and 1 England? I think it has been 5 RWC since ABs have won it but could be mistaken.

filcon

"Neo-eisimeileachd ALBA"
Dec 1, 2005
Strathclyde
I hope all goes well for the games and New Zealand win, they,ve had a helluva time and could do with a national inspiration.

Good luck the kiwis

phil

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Dallaglio I think said recently that the events that they have gone through will come out in the tackles. I think he said that or something like it. Anyway the meaning is clear, the team will want to play for their country with a higher degree of passion (if that's possible) than normally. With their form and home team advantage I think it makes them kind of favorites in my mind. Personally I do not care who wins so long as it is a better RWC than last one. Somehow I wasn't impressed overall last one. So long as the French and the Aussies don't win. And the Welsh, Scottish and Irish. ;) Joking of course. If a home nation won it I'd be happy (but very surprised and probably disappointed as it would mean the southern hemisphere sides had underperformed big time).

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
DEAR WOMEN;

List of Rules (Read and print them).

1. From 9 Sep to October 2011, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so that you are aware of what is going on regarding the
World Cup, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations. If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will
be totally ignored. DO NOT complain about not receiving any attention.

2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, the VCR and DVD are all mine, at all times, without any exceptions. If you even take a glimpse
of the remote control, you will lose it (your eye).

3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during a game, I don't mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor and without distracting me.
If you decide to stand nude in front of the TV, make sure you put clothes on right after because if you catch a cold, I won't have time to take you
to the doctor or look after you during the World Cup month.

4. During the games I will be blind, deaf and mute, unless I require a refill of my drink or something to eat. You are out of your mind if
you expect me to listen to you, open the door, answer the telephone, or pick up the baby that just fell from the second floor....it won't happen.

5. It would be a good idea for you to keep at least 2 six packs in the fridge at all times, as well as plenty of things to nibble on, and
please do not make any funny faces to my friends when they come over to watch the games. In return, you will be allowed to use the TV between 12pm and
3pm, unless they replay a good game that I missed during the day.

6. Please, please, please!! If you see me upset because one of my teams is losing, DO NOT say "get over it, it's only a game", or "don't worry,
they'll win next time". If you say these things, you will only make me angrier and I will love you less. Remember, you will never ever know
more about rugby than me and your so called "words of encouragement" will only lead to a break up or divorce.

7. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when the commercials are on, and only if the
halftime score is pleasing me. In addition, please note I am saying "one" game, hence do not use the World Cup as a nice cheesy excuse to "spend
time together".

8. The replays of the tries are very important. I don't care if I have seen them or I haven't seen them, I want to see them again. Many times,
and record them.

9. Tell your friends NOT to have any babies, or any other child related parties or gatherings that requires my attendance because:
a) I will not go,
b) I will not go, and
c) I will not go.

10. But, if a friend of mine invites us to his house on a Sunday to watch a game, we will be there in a flash.

11. The daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves. Do not even think about saying "but
you have already seen this...why don't you change the channel to something we can all watch??", the reply will be: "Refer to Rule #2 of this list".

12. And finally, please save your expressions such as "Thank goodness the World Cup is only every 4 years".
I am immune to these words, because after this comes the 20 Twenty World Cup, etc etc.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Man of the House

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Rule #13 (unlucky 13). I fully expect my life to be made hell by SWMBO for the rest of my life in return for observing the above rules, indeed for even reading them.

You forgot the 13th rule Tank.

Remember, they have long memories!!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
England had a bit of trouble with Argentina. I really wonder how Argentina will develop when they join the tri-nations. Not really up on that but IIRC the tri-nations have finally relented and allowed Argentina an international competition they certainly merited. 6 nations in the north and 4 nations in the south does make sense to me anyway. Begs the question, I think, who will be the next team to break through and want to join in with the 6 or 4 nations?? Who are the next team to merit that? Italian came into the northern comp, Argentina into the south. Who else is out there?

Sorry off topic I know but I've been a bit of a fan of the Argentinians for years (better watch out saying that as an Englishman) and have always thought the tri-nations should have accepted them sooner. I guess kind of wonder if rugby can only develop if more countries became more competitive in the sport and that will only happen with the competition. Of course I don't want to see huge scores from the likes of the big teams with a minnow but we do need to develop the lower tiers I think.
Off topic but I'm trying to remember the team's nicknames. I have it in my mind that there was a team called tractor boys and thought it was Georgia but they are Lelos. Is it Romania? I think it is a Euro team.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Last RWC England was dire early on but made the final. Think they start slow and if anyone was going to give them trouble in their group it was going to be the Argentinians I reckon. At least they have the pleasure of Georgia, Romania and Scotland to beat coming up!! :p

Second placed will have the pleasure of the All Blacks I believe so England better beat the others to top out. Although I'd love to see England play the ABs as a test before going home just not so early. In the final would be better.

BTW anyone remember the joke from last RWC that ended with "...and Australia met New Zealand on the plane home!!". Won't happen this time around methinks. If not because they're too good at least because one of them are home. :)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
England had a bit of trouble with Argentina.

They had a lot of trouble from Argentina and were lucky to get a win... The Argentinian team took it to the English in spades and then some, the English didn't know what was happening for the first 25 minutes. A very good game best of the tournament so far...Whoever decided to stick them in Black jerseys needs a slap... The AB's they're not...

Wales v SA tonight should be good.... ah a month of quality test match rugby all at a reasonable hour....

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I just watched the match between Ireland and the US. The Irish scrum was strong and difficult for the US to stop. The US side made a large number of tackles and put up a fairly strong defense. In the end they just could not mount a strong enough offense. The US side did not quit and fought to the end. I think they earned some respect for their effort. Kicking was poor in the match with many missed attempts. Hats off to the Irish.

The US plays Russia in their next match.

Gordy

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
What is happening with the kicking?? Jonny with 3 out of 8 attempts!! contemponi (bad spelling) and Rodriguez also missed a hell of a lot (saving England's pride in the process). Plus other grounds too.

If it is not an issue with the grounds on account of it happening to some degree at more than one ground is it the ball? I think the pundits questioned that too. It was a problem with the round ball in the last football world cup so perhaps something is happening with the ball. It is, like every tournament, a new ball so perhaps it goes through the air differently or kicks differently in some other way. Perhaps kicking will become less of a match winner and it makes the tries more important than ever. That won't suit England I reckon.

USA vs Russia should be a good one for those two teams being at the similar level. Cleaver did well I thought. Made some good, hard hits too. Captain's performance I think. You have to give the eagles credit for their performance. I mean they are all amateurs and there just isn't the tournaments over there like in other rugby minnow countries. I mean they had a training camp in July I heard and those taking part paid their own way on it!! They just haven't the money to operate professionally or even to fund their national side fully. There are a few who play professionally in other country leagues in the lower levels but none at the top flight of club level. This IS their shop window, a chance to move up to professional level or from lower, professional levels to the top flight. I seriously hope one day USA develops as IMHO they are doing pretty good considering where they are starting from.

Not sure about Russia but would imagine they are in the same conditions as USA. They have met a few times before and AFAIK are pretty level. Should be a good game.

So, who are performing as expected and who are failing? IMHO England, Ireland and indeed most of the higher ranked teams aren't all there yet. Still more to come from most of those. At least England has two good games to shake out the bugs before Scotland game. Still think England will beat Scotland personally. They will need to I think.

It is going to be a good WC I think. Anyway, I need to get to bed as I have to be up very, very early to watch a game or two before going to work. It is going to be a hard few weeks if I'm to get a few games in.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE