Rucksack to go with Assault Vest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
I recently went on a bushcraft style camp where we compared kit and taught one another various skills...all very good :-D . Anyhow there was a South African fella there who truely impressed me with the amount of kit he could carry in his Assault Vest :shock: , subsequently I have aquired one for myself (from Strikeforce Supplies), I then realized that due to the pouches on the back my old rucksack was not compatible :cry: . All the same the weight distribution and design more than make up for this but does anyone know which rucksacks are compatible with this style of Assault Vest?
Are British Army Bergens compatible :?:
Are there other rucksacks available which would be compatible :?:

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Does the vest have the male connectors making it compatable with PLCE side pouches?

Assualt vests are what they say - designed for assualts and not for long distance marching. If its not compatable with PLCE you have two choices - either dont wear it when hiking or buy a PLCE daysack and use the female connectors from the joke you make your vest able to attach the side pockets.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
You didnt say what type of vest you saw/bought?
as the guy was S. African i was assuming it was a S.African style assult vest in which case it is has a large pouch smack in between your shoulder blades and you cannot wear a bergan with it comforatably.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hmmm...maybe I could modify the back pouches, then again- I must admit that even as it is it carries nearly eyerything except hoochie and bedroll but they could go in additional side pouches....

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i used to have the said assualt vest, i had exactly the same problem, and couldn't find any suitable bag.

what i did find is you can fit:

a poncho under the rear pouch,
a poncho liner, or fleece sleeping bag liner in the rear pouch,
and you can fit a roll mat to the side of the rear pouches.

but....if you do this you have used the whole of your rear pouches.

i tried removing the rear pouch part, which of course you can't or the whole thing falls apart.

the only other option is to have the rear pouch completely empty, padd out the straps and use a normal rucksack, you will not find any bag is very comfy.

as has been said it is designed for quick attacks not designed for long periods that would require further overnight kit.

for me i always saw it as an all or nothing set up, ie

assualt vest only, or rucksack.

sorry i can't help any more, i don't have my vest now because of this fundamental load carrying problem

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE