Rucksack suggestions please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Damn straight - thats a "Wiseman survival knife". I KNEW someone else must have one :D. Nice piece of kit...but heavy

Red

Spacemonkey said:
Phil, what is that lovely 'little' knife under the axe you have there? Looks quite useful...

As stated by spamel and British Red it is the "Satin Lofty Wiseman Survival Tool" - further details here: - http://www.loftywiseman.co.uk/

I bought this off ebay a while ago. It had not been listed properly and the picture did not do it justice. It was a bonus when it arrived and it was the satin version with cordura sheath. It had been used, but then again it is a tool and should have been, but it was not in too good a nick. It also appeared not to have been very well finished when it was made and had some seriously dull areas to the blade. I had the edge of the knife reground as Wilderness Gathering by Dave Budd the blacksmith and knife maker - the knife is pretty sharp now.

As a tool I rate this bit of kit quite highly - it is very versatile and allows you to use it as a machete and is good for finer tasks such as feather sticks and food prep.

If anyone is interested I'll stick some pictures?

Phil.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
spamel said:
I'm getting a vibe, fellow serviceman by any chance?!! It's often handy to be able to make up half of the kit by using stuff issued to me, I suppose there has got to be a perk to the job somewhere!! If we asked for woodlore knives as essential bits of kit to be issued for the war on terror, do you think Tony Blair would comply?!! :D

If you don't mind the three year waiting list!

J

jnlrnc

Marts

I've got a new 3/4 PLCE bergen which holds 90 lt which I couldn't return. The big side pockets come off and make a day pack. It cost £89, but make me a reasonable offer

John

ex Nva Scotia

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
'seriously dull areas oon the blade' not wrong there! :eek: I could only do so much in hte field, really I needed to take it into the workshop and grind a couple of ounces off the edge! :lmao:

Hope it's working alright for you though. :)

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
the best part on rucksack & backpacks ever was the Cam Lock Hip Belt Buckle from Kelty Packs Inc.
Other than todays plastic buckles you don´t need index finger and thumb to release it - it takes just a tiny movement of your thumb and within milliseconds your pack is off of your back.
Mine was given to me by a friend who got an upgrade (better padding on belt) for his pack.
Unfortunately Kelty dosen´t offer those stainless steel parts anymore

Dave Budd said:
'seriously dull areas oon the blade' not wrong there! :eek: I could only do so much in hte field, really I needed to take it into the workshop and grind a couple of ounces off the edge! :lmao:

Hope it's working alright for you though. :)

Hi Dave,

You did a great job of grinding the "tool" for me and it works far better than before :You_Rock_

Hope all is well with you.

Phil.

hardyferret

Nov 21, 2006
Dorset
Hi all,
I,ll throw my 2penneth worth in have tried many bergans,in service and as a civvi,and have found the following,
1 never big enough
2 too big so fill with crap
3 not wide enough so what ever is needed is at bottom
4 too wide tall catches on everything
5 shoulder strap buckles keep slipping
6 shoulder strap buckles seize then break as you GENTLY ease them.
7 rustle or creak
8 vaseline or wd40 stains on the new private purchase smock
9 exterior frame digs in
10 internal frame doesn't allow back to breath

sound familiar??????!!!!!

After 20+ years of humping my world like a tortoise needs a shell
use the following
short treks etc the old A frame bergan used by SAS/PARA 60's and 70's I find this fits so well and you can get a surprising amount in it well made canvas leather/webbing so you need a bin liner etc inside to keep your kit dry. Have found these at boot sales for a fiver!!!

longer hikes the SAS bergan larger version of the gs infantry bergan again external frame this is waterproof(ish) can be expensive but worth it well made and you can fit the back support straps in different positions and tensions to suit you
I still also have a belt for water bottle and a couple of pouches of regular use and essential items

No way an expert but just what i found out the hard way and a sore back or two........

regards Jerry

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I'm also still looking for the ultimate backpack and these Kifaru ones look the biz but a bit out of my price range for the amount of times i use it so will have to stick with my rocket pack for a while

303Brit

Tenderfoot
Jan 23, 2007
germany
I have a Sabre 60-100,there is a good review of it on the site,im more than happy with it,very flexible,the ability to change its capacity from 60-100 lts,and more if you obtain the side pouches.
Its not cheap,but its but bomb proof,should last a life time.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
"The more you know, the less you carry" )))

Good light ruck in 80L+
Arc'teryx khyber 80
Mystery Ranch Trance XXX
cheaper and lighter then Kifaru.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE