Rucksack Problem- South America

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I'm quite svelte myself, shoulder width has been a problem in the past though, solved by ripping the sleeves off. :)

My problem is more than my girth (although I'm 250 pounds with a 50/52 inch chest) I'm 6'2" But my legs are short and my torso is long (as if I were 6'5") Pants are fairly easy but shirts and coats are another matter altogether.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
You could get it wrapped in cling film in the airport.

Alos, you could bring another, small bag to check in liquids, sharps, etc.

I'm also a bit paranoid when it comes to flying and I usually like to split my kit between carry on and checked luggage.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Rubble sack and then PacSafe net over the whole lot will keep it all tidy.
Pacsafe is pretty heavy to cart around but will protect the pack and can be secured
to railings, radiators , vehicles etc if you have to leave the pack unsupervised for a
moment or two.The steel wire is very cut resistant and the access to the pack is
severely limited.I take mine for my Arc'teryx Khamsin pack as I can't afford to replace it
if it gets nicked.
Have a great trip. Cheers , Simon

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
In my younger days walking around I saw a few of those pac safe things/ some sort of steel mesh locked around bags, thought they were a pretty good idea - of course I never had anything worth nicking to protect, I alway used to put my battered old stained bag next to a posh looking one :)

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
32 litres is impressively small and should sit on you knees nicely on those fifteen hour bus journeys. Make sure you photograph all your gear before and after the trip so we can see what you took and what you kept.

You can buy rucksacks almost anywhere and you can buy warm jackets and everything else you need anywhere too, so don't get paranoid about losing your gear, it might not be the brand you want but if the locals use it, it'll probably do the job.

Fluids in hold luggage will be fine just make sure they are wrapped individually in poly bags, it is no fun opening your pack to find everything covered in shampoo.

I never carry shampoo, I just cut all my hair off before I go on a trip. :) DEET is another thing though I have bought some in a far off place which had been watered down (or was simply water) so take some from home.

I wrap my rucksack in two industrial strength rubble bags from B&Q, I then seal the opening and cover any obvious hardpoints (buckles etc.) with gaffa tape. At my destination I try to save as much of the gaffa as I can by wrapping it around a marker pen and I save the rubble bags for use as rucksack liners for clothes and sleeping bag.

I usually use a 47 litre Crux rucksack which is as small as I can manage for long trips in far away places but then I like a decent sleeping bag and often carry my own food when out and about.

I used to have another crux pack (also 47 litres) which had a detachable lid pocket, I would use this as my shoulder bag for any flights I was taking.

Good luck and take plenty of photographs.

:)

Agree about the DEET- will be taking some lifesystems from the UK, have used it before and it is good stuff. I have decided to keep the rab (so far) also acts a good pillow when its packed away and being decent primaloft it keeps you warm when it gets wet, whereas the cheaper stuff might not be as efficient so will probably take it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE