Rucksack advice please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
ASH said:
My question to all is do we really need to take all that stuff with us?

I am sure you are all experienced outdoors people and know how to use every bit of kit you have, but does your bushcrafty skills allow you to carry less.

100% yes... my skillset allows me to be comfortable in the UK with very minimal kit... quite literally a knife, firesteel and billy can... but I'm seriously over it all and over proving myself.

Knowledge is indeed quite light weight... but building a shelter every time you stop uses a lot more energy than carrying one... similarly with most equipment. The whole carrying less thing has been used as a kind of blunt weapon to hit happy people with for too long.

I prefer to think of knowledge allowing me to be comfortable if my kit breaks or is lost but I certainly don't admire people for packing ultra light or ultra heavy or taking many things or taking only a few things... I admire nice people being out there in the growing places and happy.

A silnylon basha is no more bushcrafty than a 5 bedroom family camping tent and if your goal is to go light weight, more power to you but it's just an arbitrary goal you have set yourself. It's certainly not wrong but it's also not "the way"... it's just a way, same as everyone elses.

Personally I take a karrimor Sabre 75 in the winter and a 45 in the summer for 2 people for a weekend (roughly)... add to that additional *ahem* beverages and a few nice luxuries and that goes up and down.

A 45L pack is ample for me for a weekend with beverages or a week of sober wilderness enjoyment in the winter. It's also about the biggest pack I would want on my motorbike.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
While I love the design of the Karrimor Sabre 75, it's sadly too short for my back.
If I need a backpack a bit longer than the Karrimor, and with roughly the same design/features, which model should I then go for?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
It should also be comfy enough to do the pennine way.

The Pennine Way is a long one and although its nice to operate from a well organized multi-pouch rucksack all that extra stitching and nylon only adds to the weight on your back.

That said, this chap...

http://bushcraft.se/iceland/

...walked across iceland carrying a Bergans Powerframe, an impressive open frame design, he filmed his experience and you can download the movie from his site. The weather and landscape he encounters in Iceland is similar to what you can expect on the Pennine Way and like him I'd opt for a tent rather than a tarp.

:)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The thing to remember is, if you have an 80L rucksac, you will take 80L. It is the rule.

I like the climbing style of Rucksac, basically no side pockets, but you could add them, PLCE style.

The Snugpac Rocket, is going to be my next sac, I think. Like the versatility of it.

Ahem. :naughty:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Snugpak-Rocketpak-rucksack-pouches-yoke-New_W0QQitemZ260352182555QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item260352182555&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1301|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318

:D

even if your running with a smaller pack you can carry a fair bit of stuff by changing how it all goes in if im using my tent i dump the tent bag..only carry one saucepan stuff like that i also only take two sets of clothes the ones im wearing and one in my pack some of my freinds take that one step fyrther by just wearing thermals and waterproofs and camp clothes in there packs ill happily do 5/6 days out of my normal pack wich is a omm mountain mover.....that said if im working ill use a bigger pack due to the need for carrying legally required safety gear so its wotrh investing in two depending on how often yer gonnbe out for and how varied your trips are the crux packs are worth it expensive but comfy to carry for long distances over really mixed ground.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
depending on how often yer gonnbe out for and how varied your trips are the crux packs are worth it expensive but comfy to carry for long distances over really mixed ground.

The Crux packs are extremely tough and very comfy over long distances, no compartments though (other than the lid compartment), however sensible packing and use of waterproof bags will keep all your gear organized, a very simple but well thought out design.

http://www.crux.uk.com/en/crux_rucksacks.php

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
While I love the design of the Karrimor Sabre 75, it's sadly too short for my back.
If I need a backpack a bit longer than the Karrimor, and with roughly the same design/features, which model should I then go for?

You might want to have a look at the Karrimor Sabre 60-100. Same "family" as the Sabre 75, but the back system is adjustable and so fits more back lengths. This system also makes the 60-100, IMHO, much better to carry.
Sadly, it also makes the 60-100 about 1kg heavier than the 75.
Lay-out wise the rucks are otherwise quite similar.

Other than that, I can only repeat what I wrote before: Berghaus Vulcan!!! :cool:
Absolutely bombproof, and very, very comfy to carry. It comes in different back lengths, so you have to try out which one fits you.
It's basically got the same lay-out as the Sabre 75, i.e. the main compartment can be divided into 2, a large lid pocket and 2 big, removable side pockets than can be used as separate, small rucksack. Berghaus don't use PLCE pockets though but instead their own, but from a users point of view it all works the same.
I cannot recommend this sack highly enough.

I own and use both the Sabre 75 and the Vulcan, and I find the Vulcan to be vastly superior to the Sabre 75 in terms of carrying comfort. For space, they both invite you to take too much stuff with you, so there I find them to be equal. As for robustness, I feel the Vulcan has the upper hand on the Sabre. I believe this comes from the Sabres heritage, it being developed from a climbing ruck (with emphasis of being lighter).
Why don't you go check the Vulcan out and try it on for size?
You won't be disappointed.

/ Karl

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
It have also been the Vulcan that I have had my eye on. Thanks for confirming it :)

Does anyone know ehere I can get a cheap Vulcan ? The pound os very cheap for me atm, so it's ok if it's new from Britan.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hi Ash, interesting that you say this, i am a believer that minimal kit should suffice and try to take as little kit as i can. Not at the expense of a little comfort, but nothing too lavish. A couple of weekends ago, i had the opportunity to have a crafty overnighter with the South Wales crew. I thought i'd leave my large pack (Kifaru Navigator http://www.kifaru.net/MGnaviga.htm) which has a 65.5lt capacity, in favour of my medium pack (Kifaru Pointman http://www.kifaru.net/MGptman.htm) with a 49lt capacity.

I only took my essentials and even ended up leaving some stuff out as i could'nt get it in!

I have read this thread with interest, initially because I had a spare rucksack (60L) that I no longer use, but I am not sure what you mean by "Heavy". I understand from experience some camping gear/clothing can be bulky especially for winter trips or if carrying a lot of food.

My question to all is do we really need to take all that stuff with us?

I am sure you are all experienced outdoors people and know how to use every bit of kit you have, but does your bushcrafty skills allow you to carry less.

For example the use of a tarp instead of a tent with a light bivvy bag will weigh less and use less room in your rucksack than a standard 1/2 person tent or even a hammock & underblanket.

Itook a Tarp, lightweight bivvy bag, down sleeping bag and Thermarest kip mat as my 'lodgings'.

As it was cold and wet, i took a spare set of underwear, socks, a towel, a wooly hat, neck gaiter and gloves. As well as this, i included a pair of waterproof trousers. I did not include a waterproof jacket as i was wearing my Ventile. A gamble i know, but i had my spare Barbour in the car half a mile away. I also took an extra thermal layer (Norgie jumper, NOT shirt)

I also took a stove as it was wet and thought it may be prudent if i could'nt get a fire going for any reason. As well as this, i took a folding saw, some paracord, food for two meals on saturday and two meals on Sunday as well as a Zebra billy and brew kit together with a mug and 3lt of water.

Everything else was in my pockets or on my belt. This little lot only just got into my pack. So, yes, i agree with your observations but i also think that if you can get a little bit more in your Bergan (60-70lt) than not getting enough in (40lt) it's not that much more to carry but gives you a lot more scope for your weekend. I would have preferred to take a full spare set of clothing just in case i got caught in a down pour.

If i'd been taking Jed Jnr out with me, i'd have had a LOT more to carry (probably him!).

Horses for courses bud but the sleeping and shelter took up most of my load space and they are not exactly huge (Tarp: tatonka, Sleepingbag:ME Helium, Bivvy Bag: Rab: Alpine bivvy, Kip Mat: Thermarest Trail.), and the water took up the rest.

It should be possible to go out for a couple of days with between 12 & 15kg of kit including food without sacrificing any comfort..

I left out my Thermarest pillow (Damn) which is sacrificing comfort for me, not an indulgence, a neccesity. Along with a few other items i would have liked to have taken which would have fitted into my Navigator. Thats Winter camp in Wales for you!;) :rolleyes:

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Does anyone know ehere I can get a cheap Vulcan ? The pound os very cheap for me atm, so it's ok if it's new from Britan.

If you do order it from Britain, make sure you get the correct size.
Since the Vulcan has a fixed back system, you've got to order the correct size.
But you probably already knew this... :eek:

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
I'm too well aware of potential sizing problems (thats why I got a unused Sabre 75 standing in my basement now). I guess a size 3 berghaus should be a tad longer than the Sabre 75 ?

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Yes, the Vulcan size 3 is longer than the Sabre 75L.
I'm 1.77 tall, and the Sabre 75 feels too short for me as well, whereas the Vulcan size 3 fits me really well.
Mind you, I had the advantage of being able to try out the Vulcan sizes 2-4 for a weekend before making my (size) decision. In the end it was a fairly easy decision though.

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
It's not that much the Sabre 75 is too short, but enough so that it doesn't give much comfort.

Now I just need to figure out a place to get the Vulcan in size 3, for a reasonable price :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE